The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Weave

Title of book: The Host

Name of author: Stephenie Meyer

ISBN-10: 1847441831

ISBN-13: 978-1847441836

Number of pages: 617 pages

Synopsis:

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves ared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring what may be the first love triangle involving only two bodies, The Host is a riveting and unforgettable novel that will bring a vast new readership to one of the most compelling writers of our time.

n242981.jpg

Before I continue, I want to make it very clear that I enjoyed this book, despite the frankly scary reviews I have read elsewhere, I am staking my 'I like' claim, it was a great book. When I started reading it, I had visions of it being like 'Twilight', there was the same style of writing (obviously), its written in the first person, in this case, Wanderer , the soul as they are known who has taken over Melanie Stryker's body.

'The Host' tells the story of the secret invasion of Earth, the souls arrive and slowly but surely

take over by implanting souls into human beings.

The story is interesting, I liked the idea of the souls taking over the earth, truly believing what they were doing, is for the greater good but as you read, you find out maybe it was not and Wanderer finds that out too, which is an important part of the story.

Wanderer is a wonderful character, she really is, because she is a soul, she knows nothing of violence, etc, she just wants to give and help, as all the souls do but even though as much as they want to help, they fail to see the good in humans, all the see are their flaws.

For the first time in a long time, Wanderer finds a home, love, the last remaining family of*Melanie and the human survivors. Melanie/Wanderer is willing to risk it all to save others.

I enjoyed 'The Host' because it was about the good in people, all people. not just the souls but humans.

'The Host' is not just a sci-fi book, its more than that I felt, Stephenie Meyer creates an amazing character in Wanderer, a character you genuinely care for.

The only downside I found, was Jared, Melanie's partner, who refuses to accept Wanderer or what Wanderer says but eventually he does but I just it was all for his own gain, which of course, highlighted another human trait which the souls felt had to be taken away.

Read 'The Host' with an open mind, you will thank me for it.

Rating: 10/10

Edited by Weave

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked this book and gave it 8/10 in the end. I thought it had a really slow start but when it did pick up, I enjoyed it immensely.

The only downside I found, was Jared, Melanie's partner, who refuses to accept Wanderer or what Wanderer says but eventually he does but I just it was all for his own gain, which of course, highlighted another human trait which the souls felt had to be taken away.

This was a plus for me. I could understand why Jared was acting that way towards Wanderer and I thought his turmoil was one of the most interesting things about the book. I thought it was inevitable for him to be the way he was towards Wanderer. Having said that, I did think he

changed his mind about Wanderer pretty quickly, it seemed too quick.

Thanks for the review, Paula. :haha:

I agree Bookbee, it was quick, it was like, 'ok then...'

Yeah exactly, it really was. I was looking forward to it being more drawn out to be honest.

I thought it would've been interesting to see him slowly beginning to accept her, rather than how Meyer wrote it.

Thanks for the nice report. :haha: I really couldn't decide whether to read it or not. Now I suppose its place on my "to read-list" is quite worthy.

:D Oh definitely, it's a great read.

You are right Bookbee,

it would have been interesting to see their relationship with Jared seeing Wanda for what she was

:haha:

I was thinking the same Bookbee, on wikipedia, it says the next two titles will be The Soul which will be about an actual soul and The Seeker which will be interesting, because you never know how many people have experienced what happened with Melanie and Wanda,

(we know it has happened with the seeker in The Host)

and if it happens with a seeker, well that just opens more storylines :haha:

I really didn't get on with this book. I read it while waiting for Breaking Dawn to be released, and although I thought the concept was good, it was very drawn out, and I got bored with it quite a few times, almost giving up on several occasions. I did finish it, but I didn't warm to the characters and wouldn't be inclined to read any more in the series, if there are indeed two more to come.

Is it only on wiki that is says there will be 2 more books? because i cant find anything on the official Stephenie Meyer website and i think thats a little more reliable then wiki. i would love if she did write more and do a Host series, but i seem to remember her saying it would just be a novel, no follow ups. il keep fingers crossed though, would love to read more about the other characters etc

As for the book itself, i absolutely loved it. i actually much preferred it to the Twilight series and im a big fan of those too. I finally named this as being my favourite book after years of not being able to choose one. I always loved the Abarat series by Clive Barker, but when i read the Host it became a firm favourite. i keep meaning to read it again, but have been so busy reading new books i havent got around to it. Must get on that!

• 5 months later...

Bee., I keep looking on Stephenie Meyer's site too, to find out, only news (as we both know) is on wikipedia!, I wonder what she is working on?

SueB, I found 'The Host' a bit slow at the start, it does get better :D

Bee., I keep looking on Stephenie Meyer's site too, to find out, only news (as we both know) is on wikipedia!, I wonder what she is working on?

SueB, I found 'The Host' a bit slow at the start, it does get better :D

Yeh I cant get the grasp of it which is why Im soo gonna persevere with it.........thanks for that Gyre...onwards and upwards as they say :D

Yeh I cant get the grasp of it which is why Im soo gonna persevere with it.........thanks for that Gyre...onwards and upwards as they say :D

I was the same Sue, I was very much, 'what is going on?', happy reading hen :D

I give up.....this book has beat me (sorry Kate and Scarlett) but Ive thrown it into the bookshelf again for now and will go back to it :D

I dont normally give in but just feels like reading it Im going around and round in circles.....hmmmmmmmm