Paul's Reading Through the Decades Challenge

Paul

Thanks Julie and Athena. Very Happy New Years to you also from both of us!

And P.S. I just squeaked in Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler, for  a check mark in the 1940 decade.  An allegorical novel based on the Stalin Purges and Show Trials.  What a flabbergasting book about the depravity that characterized that regime!

Now only three decades to go: 1850, 1870, 1880.

Edited by Paul

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just two more to go!

Finished Washington Square by Henry James.  An easy read with very exasperating characters who come to no good end, any of them.  What a shame!

Now it is on to Madame Bovary (currently in progress) and Daniel Deronda.

And already I am wondering what to do next.  The thought occurs to keep on appending decades on the front and working back into literary history one decade at a time.  In among my other reading that should be doable, although a preliminary scan doesn't reveal an abundance of appealing titles.  So the quest will end someday, somewhere.

Hi Julie,

I must admit the pickin's are gettin' pretty slim, especially trying to push back before 1800.  But there are some that have always intrigued me, even though I have been putting them off for many years now :(

Have to make a list of candidates and then choose, carefully.

Edited by Paul

In case anyone is interested in what was going on in the early 1800's, here's my highly selective view of it:.

Candidate Reads 1800-1849

1808 - Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust (part 1) *

1811 - Jane Austen - Sense and Sensibility
1813 - Jane Austen - Pride and Prejdice
1814 - Walter Scott - Waverley *
1815 - Walter Scott - Guy Mannering
1817 - Walter Scott - Rob Roy
1819 - Water Scott - Ivanhoe

1821 - Wolfgang von Goethe - Wilhelm Meister's Journeyman Years *
          James Fenimore Cooper - The Spy
1826 - James Fenimore Cooper - The Last of the Mohicans

1830 - Stendahl - The Red and the Black *
           Edward Bulwer - Paul Clifford. "It was a dark and stormy night. . ."
1831 - Victor Hugo - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
1832 - Washington Irving - Tales of the Alhambra
           Alexander Pushkin - Dubrovsky
1834 - Honore de Balzac - Pere Goriot
1836 - Charles Dickens - The Pickwick Papers
1839 - Stendahl - The Charterhouse of Parma

1840 - Mikhail Lermontov - A Hero of Our Time *

1844 - Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo

Alexandre Dumas - The Three Musketeers

1847 - Charlotte Bronté - Jane Eyre

Emily Bronté -Wuthering Heights

William Makepeace Thackeray - Vanity Fair

My selections for my extended Decades Challenge list have been starred and now appear also on my Challenge List in the first post above.  I think they sound interesting, or at least noteworthy.

Edited by Paul

We have some of them on the shelf, or they are free to download to kindle.  So, that's a good thing. :)

And, we just happen to have the Vladimir Nabokov translation of Mikhail Lermontov's - A Hero of Our Time :D

We have some of them on the shelf, or they are free to download to kindle.  So, that's a good thing. :)

And, we just happen to have the Vladimir Nabokov translation of Mikhail Lermontov's - A Hero of Our Time :D

Hi Kate! Oh boy!  The added attraction of a Nabokov translation. I didn't know that. Now it is definitely on the to-read-next list!

Charlie 

I hope you enjoy your books. You are gonna surely have a wide variety after all the reading you're doing !

Hi Julie!  You hit the nail square on the head.  That is one of my most general reading goals -- to try to read widely across all years, genres and authors.  Impossible and visionary, of course .  But there is always something interesting and different out there to be found.  And well wishes to you also for your reading year.

Edited by Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Just slipped in another book, even though it is not necessary. The decade 1980 has already been checked off with Clarice Lispector, but Little, Big by John Crowley just crossed my mind and it would be a shame to lose the thought for another long time. So now it is on the list and whizzing through the Whispernet for my Kindle. Never again to be forgotten, it will get read someday. Perhaps in breaks from Daniel Deronda, which is going slow. :(

Edited by Paul

Charlie

I have been pondering the book Little,Big for several years now. Sounds weird ,doesn't it ? I love the cover and also the fact that it looks like a huge chunkster of a book . I guess I can't decide if it is sci-fi ,fantasy, or something else entirely .

What would you classify it as ?

julie, on 29 Jan 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:julie, on 29 Jan 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:julie, on 29 Jan 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Charlie

I have been pondering the book Little,Big for several years now. Sounds weird ,doesn't it ? I love the cover and also the fact that it looks like a huge chunkster of a book . I guess I can't decide if it is sci-fi ,fantasy, or something else entirely .

What would you classify it as ?

Hi Julie,

I'm not sure what people call it, except that many have said (over the past several years) that it is the best book they have ever read.  In looking at a "read me" page on Amazon it looked like gentle fantasy to me.  Not as thick and heavy as The Hobbit, which is quite fine by me.  But so many people have raved that I decided to give it a try.  (I tend to look at Amazon reviews both good and bad and go from there, reading between the lines and matching against my own tastes.  I find that much more reliable than reading blurbs.).

PS: I haven't the faintest idea, yet, what the title means.

PPS: I think it is also supposed to have an existential twinge, to make one "think about life."  We shall see.

Edited by Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Julie, reading Little Big is no place in sight yet.  But quick glance looks like pure fantasy.

However, I am making some progress on the oldest decades on my list:, reprinted here just to keep from having to back to my first post to update each time.  But slow going still. :(

Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust (1800) Pt I, tr Yuan Shi. Completed

Walter Scott - Waverly (1814)

Wolfgang von Goethe - Wilhelm Meister's Journeyman Years (1821). In progress.

Stendahl - The Red and the Black (1830)

Mikhail Lermontov - A Hero of Our Time (1840) - Nabokov translation, In progress.

Gustave Flaubert - Madame Bovary (1857) - Completed

Edited by Paul

• 1 month later...
Kylie, on 16 Feb 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

I bought Little Big after reading some rave reviews on here. I haven't gotten around to it yet. If you read it first (and you probably will!), I'll be interested to read your thoughts. :)

Hi Kylie,

I wouldn't be so sure that I'll get to Little Big first.  So far, in March I haven't completed one book.  First time for that negative accomplishment in many a year. :(  Dunno why.  But I am going to push to finish If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, to make it one, anyway, for March.

Am adding Taylor Caldwell's bio of Cicero, A Pillar of Iron, to my Challenge list and am seriously thinking of reading it next.  Kate will be so happy. :)

Might sample the first chapter of Little, Big, for a taste of it, but promise not to get caught. :)

Paul

Sorry to hear of your reading slump. It sounds as if you live in MY world right now. It's a struggle some months to complete a single book . I hate when that happens. It'll gradually pick up pace again and you'll be reading again at regular speed . Sometimes life gets in the way, or maybe your brain just takes a rest break for a bit . I'm not sure, but it sounds as if all readers have those spells from time to time . :(

I am always reading, but I agree that there are times when I read less than at other times. 

I keep looking at all these different reading challenges and thinking Wow that looks interesting, but I have to confess that I entirely lack the self-discipline. Not that I lack self-discipline entirely :) but when it comes to reading I am so much more driven by what I feel like reading rather than what I should read that I know I won't stick to it, least of all if it is a self-imposed reading list. 

One of the major reasons I have all my books on my reader at once is that when I'm done with a book, I like to 'browse' my books for what I feel like reading. And if nothing grabs my eye then I go a-hunting for something new. Ok sometimes I just go a-hunting anyway. I can't resist new books, or old books which are like old friends you suddenly bump into again and you remember why you loved them so much. :)

So Paul, and all the others so bravely doing a challenge - congratulations. I'd love to join you, but I know I'd fail the moment the next book on the list didn't look appealing :)

Edited by CuriousGeorgette

That's sad, Paul. :( I hope you're enjoying If on a Winter's Night... a little more this time around. I absolutely loved it when I read it.

Paul

Sorry to hear of your reading slump. It sounds as if you live in MY world right now. It's a struggle some months to complete a single book . I hate when that happens. It'll gradually pick up pace again and you'll be reading again at regular speed . Sometimes life gets in the way, or maybe your brain just takes a rest break for a bit . I'm not sure, but it sounds as if all readers have those spells from time to time . :(

I think we all have a reading slump from time to time (low mojo), I think it's part of life though I can't explain why.

Kylie, Julie, Athena,

Thank you all so much for having me in mind.  You stiffen my resolve to reach the finish line, what with so many people now watching. :D :D :D

I like to 'browse' my books for what I feel like reading. And if nothing grabs my eye then I go a-hunting for something new. Ok sometimes I just go a-hunting anyway. I can't resist new books,

:)

Curious Georgette,  Your method sounds exactly like my magpie approach.  If it looks interesting, I want it.

But there comes a time when one has to either fish or cut bait, and my challenge was to finally tackle those books I have always heard about -- for maybe, oh, twenty years or more, maybe 30 or 40 -- but never got around to.  So this is finally a grit-my-teeth-and-read-it list.  On the other hand, if you look carefully -- which I'm not asking -- you'll see that I have gritted my teeth for about two books and read about 18 others for candy.  But one day, hopefully this year, I shall indeed complete my challenge and finally get rid of some long-term nags.  That goal is finally near enough to think about reaching.

Very best to all,

Paul

• 2 months later...

Finally finished Daniel Deronda by George Elliot.  What a magnificent novel, her last.  Glorious characters.  Glorious plot.  Glorious prose.  It has it all.

The now leaves only three decades for the next six months:

Walter Scott - Waverly (1814)

Wolfgang von Goethe - Wilhelm Meister's Journeyman Years (1821)

Stendahl - The Red and the Black (1830)

We'll get this thing done yet! :)

Athena, on 10 Jun 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

Looks like you're progressing well, congratulations :)!

Thanks Athena.  Putt-putting along anyway. :smile:  My reading of classics always needs some change of pace in between books, even though most of the classics I have read have motivated me to read more.  So I oscillate back and forth, shifting my gears between slow and fast reading.  However, George Eliot has definitely gone to the top of the list for reading more.  Daniel Deronda is definitely the kind of writing we don't see anymore and is an immense pleasure.  With a deep breath, it occurs to me now that I just might try Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables again.  But just not yet. :D  However, checking Wikipedia, I see it had an influence on the work of H.P. Lovecraft.  Well, well, well  :eek: