The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Ruth

Sometimes, you read a book that you love so much, you want to tell everybody you know to read it. This is one of those times. This book is beautiful, sad, moving and funny.

The book is narrated by Enzo, a dog of indeterminate breed, who is on the eve of his death. He is not scared though, because he is convinced that he is going to be reincarnated as a man, and will finally be able to speak, and will be the proud owner of a pair of opposable thumbs. Unlike many books where the narrator is an animal, this is not written as a comedy, although parts of it did make me laugh out loud.

Enzo narrates his life, from the moment he was picked out of a litter of puppies by his master Denny, and a deep bond of love and loyalty was formed.

Denny meets Eve and they have a daughter, and for a while all is well with the family, but then a tragedy strikes them, and life starts to come apart at the seams. Throughout all of Denny

Oh my God Ruth, my first reaction to your review was "Oh I cant read that, no no no it will kill me, I will cry buckets", but then as I continued reading, it sounded such a wonderful story I have made a note of it to go on my TBR list. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Edited by Michelle
no need to quote what's directly above!

Oh my God Ruth, my first reaction to your review was "Oh I cant read that, no no no it will kill me, I will cry buckets", but then as I continued reading, it sounded such a wonderful story I have made a note of it to go on my TBR list. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Well I just read Ruth's review and then went over to librarything and started reading the reviews there for this book and I had to stop as it got a bit emotional for me!

Great review Ruth! certainly one I'll keep my eyes out for.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm reading this at the moment and the book just blows my mind. I lovelovelove the way it's written, the language and the style is so witty and intelligent. The book's making me really anxious though at times, because I know that bad things are going to happen :smile2: But I cannot but keep reading, Enzo is such a beautiful and intelligent dog.

Ruth, it's been a while since you've read the book, but do you remember the

molester zebra

? That was sooo funny, although really horrendous from Enzo's point of view. How does Garth Stein come up with things like that :motz:

I am certainly going to add this to my reading list but will probably need to be in a very good frame of mind when I read it as animals are my weak spot.

I have never been a dog person though *whispers* I am a crazy cat lady really.

It sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review :motz:

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the book a while ago and it didn't let me down at any point. Simply marvellous! I was laughing out loud, and also shedding tears :D Probably the funniest moment in the book was when Enzo

stole the legal papers which Denny was going to sign, giving Zo

I'm reading this at the moment and the book just blows my mind. I lovelovelove the way it's written, the language and the style is so witty and intelligent. The book's making me really anxious though at times, because I know that bad things are going to happen :D But I cannot but keep reading, Enzo is such a beautiful and intelligent dog.

Ruth, it's been a while since you've read the book, but do you remember the

molester zebra

? That was sooo funny, although really horrendous from Enzo's point of view. How does Garth Stein come up with things like that :D

I know - it made me laugh out loud on several occasions!! Garth Stein is very funny and lovely. I follow him on Twitter, and was extremely pleasantly surprised when I found that he was following me as well:)

• 2 weeks later...
I know - it made me laugh out loud on several occasions!! Garth Stein is very funny and lovely. I follow him on Twitter, and was extremely pleasantly surprised when I found that he was following me as well:)

What?? He follows you on Twitter? That's so cool! :friends0: