Skimmer or Word-for-Word Reader?

KW

I have noticed that when a book is tense and exciting I tend to read faster, wanting to find out what's happening on the next page. When this happens I do tend to not take in things occasionally and have to go back and read over.

I do the same thing!!!!

I do read word for word, but when I really like a book, I also do exactly what Ceinwenn does! I read right to the end no matter how many times I peeked ahead, but am often too impatient and must know answers NOW! It's okay though as it doesn't kill the enjoyment for me one little bit!

I don't care if some consider it cheating. After all it's my reading time and I'm not in competition with anyone, so how can it be cheating? I don't cheat myself because this often enables me to read the really good parts of a book several times whilst finishing it! :blush:

Wordsgood - you have summed it up perfectly! Sometimes I just have to know what is going to happen! Sometimes I skip a couple of chapters ahead, then go back, sometimes I go straight to the end of the book, then go back to the begining, sometimes I skip around the book the whole time I am reading it, always going back to where i was. It's a guilty pleasure for me! I love knowing what is coming, but not knowing how the author got there - that makes the book soooo much better for me!

Yes! Ceinwenn and Supergran - you both understand exactly what I mean! Sometimes it is just waaaayyy tooo hard to wait and see what happens so I just have to peek, but returning to find out how the author got there is equally exciting for me. And of course my reading speed varies depending on my interest and when I go too fast, I often find myself going back to see what didn't sink in or I've forgotten in my excitement! So good to know I'm not the only one who does this kind of thing! :)

...It's a guilty pleasure for me! I love knowing what is coming, but not knowing how the author got there - that makes the book soooo much better for me!

...When this happens I do tend to not take in things occasionally and have to go back and read over.