The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Weave

Title of book: The Old Man and the Sea

Name of author: Ernest Hemingway

Paperback: 112 pages

Publisher: Arrow Books Ltd; New Ed edition (18 Aug 1994)

ISBN-10: 0099908409

ISBN-13: 978-0099908401

51HRN5S6AVL_SS500_.jpg

Synposis: (which I copied and pasted from a review)

The tale of an aged Cuban fisherman going head-to-head (or hand-to-fin) with a magnificent marlin

This is the first book I have read by Ernest Hemingway

'The Old Man and The Sea' tells the story of Santiago, an elderly fisherman who lives in Havana. From the start of the book you find out that Santiago is quite lonely, his wife has passed on and his only company is his apprentice called Manolin, who we find out has been ordered by his parents to no longer fish with Santiago as Santiago has not caught a fish in 84 days.

On the 85th day, Santiago sets out alone on his skiff and ends up far out in the Gulf Stream fighting a battle of wills with a large fish which he believes is a marlin. The fight is long and hard for both Santiago and the fish.

'The Old Man and The Sea' tells a story of courage, the courage of Santiago, who I respected because he fought so hard to get his prize.

A lovely read with many different themes, a joy to read.

Rating: 10/10

The life of PI but with a fish?

I remember the film of The Old Man and the sea.

I would not know Colin, I have never read 'The Life of Pi' :blush:

I haven't read a Hemingway story for years and now I want to! (Trish throws a few more on her groaning tbr mountain). I remember loving The Old Man and the Sea, enjoying For Whom The Bell Tolls and somewhat struggling, but rewardingly so, with The Snows of Kilimanjaro. I highly recommend A Farewell to Arms which is my favourite. War, nurses, soldiers, wounds, love. . . captivates me every time.

Oh you should It is about a shipwrecked boy and he has a boat full of zoo animals the monologues are briliiant. If this was a film it would all revolve around one character just like the old man and the sea.

The author is Yan Martell

Apparently it is getting turned into a film! Due out next year, according to IMDB.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...