Keeping a record of books I've read

Jules2

You know, until I "discovered" online forums a few months ago, I really thought I was the only one who felt this way about books! :D

I've often started a record of what I read and want to own/read, but it always seemed too strange before I got to far along so I would abandon it. Now that I know I'm not alone, so to speak, I'm going to start! Do wish I could remember what I've read just a months ago though, as I know there are far more than I can recall at this moment. ;)

(By the way, I'm a newbie here. :006:)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to keep a record of read books together with a small review about each one, but now I only write a list of recently bought books. I am also quite old-fashioned because I write everything in a notebook. However I plan to buy a new, beautiful notebook to keep some interesting quotes (I have plenty of them) and write a few words about recently read books.

However I plan to buy a new, beautiful notebook to keep some interesting quotes (I have plenty of them) and write a few words about recently read books.

That's what I intended to do, but although I started, I kept forgetting (or not having time) to update so it got neglected. :006:

Welcome wordsgood (you're definitely not alone!) and Utopiste. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago I attempted to record all the books I've read over the years.

This list has evolved into a database on my computer where I track title, author, date completed, F/NF, copyright date, and comments.

I sometimes enjoy sorting the entries in different ways to see what and who I've been reading, and other parameters.

996 entries and counting.

Cheers,

dan :D

I have a website, a blog on here and a whole folder on my computer dedicated to keeping a record of what I have read, but I started keeping a record when I joined here back in May - no idea what I read before that

This place is the first place I've been where I write down what I read. And that's spotty. At this point, I couldn't possibly remember all the books I've read...not sure I care, either. Books that really stand out, stay with me in memory and on my shelf. That's what I can handle at this point in life.:D

I bought a beautiful book journal when I was on holiday in America about a year ago and have been writing them all in there ever since. I've been quite good up until now but have been neglecting it a little in the past couple of weeks - will have to make an effort to update it now :blush:

I'd love a proper book journal (whether I'd update it is another matter!). I love to record my feelings good or bad. I really like looking back at what I've read! :)

I have a pretty notebook that I've been recording the title & author of each books I've read since the beginning of 2007.

Part of me wishes I'd was a little bit more imaginative and added comments about what I felt about the book once I had read it. I have started to mark them with a little dot if they made a impact on me.

I'm a newbie, but I've just also added my current 2008 list on here, so I also intend to update that now as I go along. As for Library thing, I know of it, but never ventured more than a browse.

Edited by bookwormmum

Is it just me, or do others find My Librarything isn't very engaging? I put my books in, but the layout doesn't really inspire me to write anything about the books I have read. I think I am going to try writing it all down on a good old fashioned paper and see if that helps!

Many years ago I attempted to record all the books I've read over the years.

This list has evolved into a database on my computer where I track title, author, date completed, F/NF, copyright date, and comments.

I sometimes enjoy sorting the entries in different ways to see what and who I've been reading, and other parameters.

996 entries and counting.

Cheers,

dan :blush:

Wow, thats amazing! How long has it taken you to read 1000 books?

Is it just me, or do others find My Librarything isn't very engaging? I put my books in, but the layout doesn't really inspire me to write anything about the books I have read. I think I am going to try writing it all down on a good old fashioned paper and see if that helps!

Yeah I agree. I find both Bookcrossing and LibraryThing a bit anti-social. This is the only place I find myself talking in the forums

I have started to record the books I have read. At the moment it is on my PC, but I think I will get a nice notebook and do it by hand. So far I have a grand list of.... one book. I decided I would start from this point forward rather than trying to back list everything. Hopefully I will make it to two books by the end of the week!

When I was in elementary school, probably in the 6th grade, our teacher tried to encourage us to read books and he gave us all little notebooks where to record the books we've read (author, title, date, number of pages and thoughts on that novel). I remember reading a lot, and I had to ask my teacher for another notebook because the first notebook was full. I've spent so many hours trying to find those notebooks but so far no success :blush:

I also remember that during that 6th grade all of the girls in our class watched Twin Peaks on the telly and then one of us found The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer in the library! The book circulated among the girls, most of us read it. I remember when I was the next to get it and I just couldn't wait for my friend to finish it and give it to me! It was important to read the book also because it was a grownup's book and it had 266 pages which was a huge deal for us those days :)

The current notebook that I have dates from 14.6.1999, almost 10 years ago :D

• 1 month later...