Lines/passages that made you laugh out loud

Nellie

I was reading Wind In The Willows last night. (OK, I'm 32, but after a hard day at work, who can resist a bit of Toad of Toad Hall?)

There is a passage in it where Badger is trying to convince Toad not to drive motor cars anymore. The pair eventually come out of the room to meet Rat and Mole. Badger tells them Toad has promised to stay away from cars. Badger tries to make him repeat his promise in front of his friends, when he doesn't, he challenges him and says that in the smoking room he promised to stay away from cars and Toad says:

'Oh, yes, yes, in there,' said Toad impatiently. 'I'd have said anything in there. You're so eloquent, dear Badger, and so moving, and so convincing, and put all your points so frightfully well

In Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom...(I'm going to spoiler this for anyone who hasn't read it yet)

The whole scene towards the end, where he is walking with a nude Raquel Welch and Sue the Gorilla, and she is trying to cover herself up with a couple of leaves. I had to keep putting the book down because I was laughing so much.

A great idea for a thread!

Terry Pratchett - Feet of Clay:

After hearing about Nobby's royal ancestors rich old ladies started to invite him to their parties and Nobby's reaction is hilarious:

"I've heard about these rich ole women," said Nobby dejectedly. "I reckon she wants me to be a giggle-low, is that right?"

"Nah, nah," said the sergeant, looking at passion's most unlikely plaything. "I know this stuff from my uncle. "At Home" is like a bit of a drinks do. It's where all you nobs hob-nob, Nobby. You just drink and scoff and talk about literachoor and the arts."

It took me about 10 seconds to realise what Nobby meant by giggle-low (such a fantastic play with words!) and then I couldn't stop laughing for ages! "Looking at passion's most unlikely plaything" only added fuel to the fire.

This bit from Terry Pratchett's Making Money had me laughing out loud for quite a while:

It's near the end, at a tense moment when Moist is on trial for his life. Mr Fusspot (a small dog who is also Chairman of the bank - don't ask) has a toy he hasn't let go of since he got it. It's a special, clockwork toy for those, shall we say, intimate moments.

"It was at this point that Moist became aware of a regrettably familiar whirring sound, and from his raised position he was the first to see the chairman of the Royal Bank appear from behind the curtains at the far end of the hall with his wonderful new toy clamped firmly in his mouth. Some trick of the vibrations was propelling Mr Fusspot backwards across the shiny marble.

People in the audience craned their necks as, with tail wagging, the little dog passed behind Vetinari's chair and disappeared behind the curtains on the opposite side."

I could just see this happening like a film before me! :D

The book im currently reading is a factual account of the Sicilian mafia, not the first place id expect to find a laugh but earlier i was reading and the author described a mafioso of

"Sticking out like a toad in a tutu"

This maybe a common saying somewhere? but I have never heared it and I eventually just had to put the book down for a few mins.

I've only read a few chapters of A Confederacy of Dunces but it has made me chuckle a few times. I'll start making notes of some lines. Pretty much everything the main character (Ignatius J Reilly) says is funny.

I'm also reading The Gem Collector by PG Wodehouse. A character by the name of Uncle Thomas has been described as a 'frightful man. Always trying to roast a chap'. Later, the man character, Jimmy, is introduced to Uncle Thomas:

"This is my friend Pitt, uncle," said Spennie, presenting Jimmy with a motion of the hand.

Sir Thomas extended three fingers. Jimmy extended two, and the handshake was not a success.