The Rain Before It Falls by Jonathan Coe

Janet

I'm really glad you enjoyed this Janet - I'm hoping that The Rain Before It Falls will introduce a lot of people to Jonathan Coe's writing - I love the way he writes.

I am making my first post on this forum and I am going to upset you all straight away because I actually didn't finish this book.

I love Jonathan Coe and I have read all his books. 'House of sleep' was the first and the rest followed in quick succession, I think my favourite was 'The Dwarves of Death' and I also loved the film based on the book staring my favourite actor Ray Winstone.

I found the rain before it falls too descriptive as soon as Rosamond began to describe the photographs we were told the smallest details unnecessarily I felt. For example the details of clothing worn by characters in photographs not important to the continuation of the story. I read the chapter containing the description of the photograph of when she was evacuated to her aunt and uncles farm and I had the urge to skip the descriptions, so I decided to give up.

I have since been told I should have persevered and maybe I will try it again one day because I was looking forward to reading it and so disappointed I couldn't finish it.

I always enjoy reading your reviews Janet, you have directed me to a lot of good reads, thank you for that.

This sounds like a good book, I am adding it to my wish list.

:)

I am making my first post on this forum and I am going to upset you all straight away because I actually didn't finish this book.

I love Jonathan Coe and I have read all his books. 'House of sleep' was the first and the rest followed in quick succession, I think my favourite was 'The Dwarves of Death' and I also loved the film based on the book staring my favourite actor Ray Winstone.

I found the rain before it falls too descriptive as soon as Rosamond began to describe the photographs we were told the smallest details unnecessarily I felt. For example the details of clothing worn by characters in photographs not important to the continuation of the story. I read the chapter containing the description of the photograph of when she was evacuated to her aunt and uncles farm and I had the urge to skip the descriptions, so I decided to give up.

I have since been told I should have persevered and maybe I will try it again one day because I was looking forward to reading it and so disappointed I couldn't finish it.

Hello and welcome Polemole.

I've read quite a lot of Jonathan Coe books too and The Rain Before It Falls is very different in style etc to his others. However I still enjoyed it and although I was initially disappointed by the ending I found myself thinking about it a lot and realised that Jonathan Coe had created a very thought provoking conclusion.