Horror/fantasy recommendation?

Hello,

So I'm very fussy when it comes to reading, and there are few books out there that tempt me to read past the first 20 pages or so. Either I have specific tastes, or I have no idea what I want.

I'm a fan of things like the Warhammer novels (some of them), and I play some dark computer games such as Clive Barker's Jericho, Dawn of War, Warcraft etc, and I love some of the stories about mages/ultimate evil blah blah blah. Having said that, I don't like hopelessly cliche and tacky themes.

In a book I'd love to read something very dark, possibly involving summoning demons, occult themes etc, and I'm not opposed to violence. I generally don't like vampire/werewolth themes because I think they've been done to death. I've read my share of Ann Rice, and it was entertaining for a while, but I've lost interest in her books. Also, I love epic tales.

I don't know if this is too specific, or too general, but let me know. Thanks for the help :friends0:

If you are looking for an epic tale with pretty much every variant of magic appearing at some point how about giving David Eddings' 'The Belgariad' series a try: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery,

Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry and Enchanters' End Game.

Or Raymond E. Fiest's Riftwar trilogy: The Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon.

If you're looking for something very dark and involving demons or occult summoning, etc., I don't think you can go wrong with Graham Masterton. He is highly underrated, in my opinion. Have you ever read Richard Matheson's I Am Legend? If you've seen the new movie, you know the plot, to a certain extent, although the original was less hopeful, which may or may not be a good thing for you. Also, Suzy McKee Charnas' The Vampire Tapestry was a great vampire novel that I think few people have heard of. In the cultured vampire vein, but less teenage than Anne Rice's. Hope this helps. How is Clive Barker's Jericho? I've loved some Clive Barker creations - the Candyman movie, The Thief of Always - and wish I could find more computer games with interesting plotlines.

• 4 weeks later...

how about the new x files book i know its a slight cash in but i promise its draws you into the story so well. it may be quite a short book but i think it has a edge to it that might make you revisit it again. plus its way better than the film wat a let down that was :D.

i have a belly button!!!!:006:

Dave Duncan - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever series - an older series from the 1980s, but it stands the test of time and he has recently put out some new books that left off where the first left off. The basic premise is that a modern day leper with a seemingly crazy ex-wife and who is shunned within his own town (which is modern), is hurt and magically finds himself transported to a world where he is suddenly not just healthy, but can feel the land. The Land is in serious trouble and is in danger from their equivalent to what we on earth might call the devil - Lord Foul Bane.

He is very close to taking over the peaceful and wonderful Land where many cultures thrive. Though his body positively sings with good health, Covenant is bitter and believes it all to be some kind of delusion. In his travels he meets many people from a stoic warrior tribe who lives by unflinching honour, to those they willing serve called the Lords - a council of various races that live to be much older than the average due to their ability to tap into the Lands power. He is even befriended by a very young giant male, who is still little more than a child in his people's eyes, being only 90 some years old!

The Lords watch over and protect all races, everywhere in the lands. Gradually, Covenant is drawn into a kind of saviour role he despises and still doesn't believe to be real, and realizes they think he is the reincarnation of their ancient and most revered here - Berek Halfhand. Covenant too, has only one half remaining on one hand due to his leprosy. While he is healthy here, the Land, it cannot heal that which is no longer there.

Not always teeming with action, I still find this series to be very engrossing, even after many, many years and several re-reads!

Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth series - Wizard's First Rule is the first in the series. It has character driven plot through much of the series, but also a lot of rip-roaring action scenes: Battle with swords and lances, magic, violence (complete with rather graphic descriptions), love, romance, self-discovery, sexual tension and soooo much more. It's one of my favourite series of all time!

Richard Cypher is a woods guide, nothing more. He is a large muscular man by the standards of his people. However, one day while out in his beloved woods he comes across a young woman in a snow white dress, running from four huge, fearsomely armed men who seem intent on capturing her. Before long he finds himself helping her and quickly realize she possesses some kind of power unheard of in the Westlands. There is talk that on the other side of the impenetrable boundary, a dark and forbidding place filled with terrifying creatures, that magic truly exists. But Richard never truly believed that, putting it down to the superstitious tendencies of small country village. Eventually they defeat the four men that she calls a Quad.

Eventually he brings her to his friend. And old, wise-cracking, crazy haired, man Richard had known all his life, and who practically raised him. Zedd knew more about any given subject than any normal man had a right to and had taught Richard everything he knew about the woods and life in general. He is not prepared for his friend's strange and forbidding response to the stranger he brings to ask for Zedd's help. She was trouble and Zedd wanted her gone. The sooner the better.

Eventually, caught up in a series of fast moving and horrifying events beyond his comprehension, Richard learns he is is not from the Westlands, he is not really Richard Cypher. Zedd is a wizard from the Midlands...and not just any wizard, but First Wizard. It is he who put the boundaries up after fighting a devastating war where he was called the Wind of Death. He brought his daughter to the Westlands, a place of no magic, to recover from her rape by the son of Zedd's now vanquished arch enemy - Darken Rahl. He is Richard's true father. Zedd's has named him as the Seeker of Truth and bestowed upon him the ancient, magical sword. This post should only be given by the First Wizard, and only after extensively observing certain individuals with the right kind of traits....and the right kind of magic. But in the war it had become a political ploy to pass around for favours and support.

Richard is a war wizard, the first in to be born in three thousand years, and the true Seeker of Truth. The woman who got him into all this? She is the Mother Confessor, the most powerful woman in the Midlands to whom even kings and queens must bow. But now evil lurks in every corner as the Keeper of the Underworld sends his minions out to spread to help tear the veil and be free. Should that happen, the world of the dead will swallow the world of the living and all life will be lost.

Richard and Kahlan, the too young Mother Confessor must join forces and stop the Keeper and his minions. But can they?

Edited by wordsgood