Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Janet

EDIT (23 OCTOBER 2009 - I've changed the title to the popular shortened version of both Alice books because the thread has turned into a discussion of both and I didn't want to start a new one for Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There. :lol:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

020-2008-Jul-30-AlicesAdventuresinW.jpg

The ‘Blurb’

Alice lives an ordinary sort of life, until one day she finds herself in the most wonderful world of mad tea parties and remarkable characters like the Mad Hatter, the Duchess, the Cheshire Cat and the Mock Turtle. Alice is delighted to find that nothing in Wonderland is the least bit ordinary.

It’s been 30 plus years since I’ve read about Alice. I was a stage hand in a school production of it when I was about 15, so I knew the story quite well.

It’s a great book. Quite unique in that although it’s Victorian (first published 1865) it doesn’t have any moral undertone - it’s just written for fun. I really enjoyed revisiting it and I must find a copy of Through the Looking Glass to read soon!

The paperback is 138 pages long and is published by Puffin. The ISBN number is 978-0140366754.

10/10

(Read July 2008)

Edited by Janet

I've always LOVED this book. I have a gorgeous illustrated hardback version of The Nursery Alice from my own childhood which is now in Tadpole's room, waiting to be read again. :lol: Unsurprisingly (for me) it's in excellent condition - I was always so careful with my books, even as a small child. I'm hopeful I'll manage to instil that same respect in Tad too! :lol:

I'm afraid it was never a favourite of mine. I did have a copy when I was young and remember trying to read it a few times, but never finished it! :blush:

• 1 year later...

I am resurrecting a rather old thread, but in light of the upcoming Tim Burton film, I'm sure this book will either be reread by many, or picked up for the first time by others.

I read this novel a few years ago and I wasn't all that impressed. I thought it was a bit dull to be honest. :D What interests me much more than the actual story, is the "story behind the story" - all the "hidden" symbolism, etc. I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in that aspect of Alice in Wonderland? I've been considering buying an annotated version of this novel, simply for the behind the scenes trivia.

I have just finished reading Alice in Wonderland by lewis carroll and now i'm in the middle of Through the looking glass.

I loved it. I was just as good as i remember and i can not wait until the film comes out. I'm especially happy because i feel well and truly ready because i will have read the books. I'm also thinking of watching the cartoon production as well, before i see Tim Burton's.

My favourite bit was when the cheshire cat says:

Dogs are normal because they wag their tails when they're happy and growl when they're angry. But cat's must be mad coz they wag their tails when they're angry and growl when they're happy.

I'd agree with this coz my cat's off his head! And i've been quoting this to everyone since i read it!

• 1 month later...
What interests me much more than the actual story, is the "story behind the story" - all the "hidden" symbolism, etc. I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in that aspect of Alice in Wonderland? I've been considering buying an annotated version of this novel, simply for the behind the scenes trivia.

I am studying Adaptation as an MA at De Montfort University, and am considering exploring 'Alice' as part of my dissertation, which is focused on Disney adaptation and the cultural implications that the 'disneyfication' of fairytales has had on our society.

I recently saw an annotated version of the novel, and Through the Looking Glass (in my opinion, by far the better tale- it's wittier, it's deeper, and when you read this novel in light of it's literary implications, the Wonderland through the mirror gets a whole lot darker) and although I didn't purchase it at the time, I fully intend to. It has incredible detail of Carroll's intentions of 'play' when he was writing the book, and explains in more depth some of the objectives and given circumstances of some of the more obscure characters (oh how Stanislavskian). I would really, really recommend picking up a copy- because the 'behind the scenes trivia' you refer to would make a Wonderland novel in itself.

• 2 weeks later...