Hi all, new member seeking some advice

Caelan

Hi all and thank you for having me :) I used to be an avid reader but have in recent years slacked off. Looking to get back into reading and I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good historic/ancient stories? Preferably with links to either Chinese/Japanese culture or traditional Greek/Roman tragedies.

Many thanks, and all info will be appreciated!

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See is excellent - it focuses on the friendship between two young girls as they grow into women. Chinese culture/foot binding involved.

Not fiction, but two autobiographies of Japanese Geisha that might appeal are Autobiography of a Geisha by Sayo Masuda and Geisha of Gion by Mineko Iwasaki. If you prefer the fictional approach, there's always Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (which was loosely based on the life of Mineko Iwasaki).

As suggested by Louise, Empress Orchid by Anchee Min is excellent - a novel based on an actual historical figure.

On the Roman side of things, not "tradition tragedies", but if you like your historical fiction realistic and including some actual historical figures popping in and out of the story line, I can highly recommend Simon Scarrow's Romans series, starting with Under the Eagle.

Tom Holt, who is best known for comic novels, is a Classicist by training, and has written some good historical novels set in the Ancient World.

Try

- The Walled Orchard, which was originally published in two parts as Goatsong and The Walled Orchard

- Alexander At The World's End

- Olympiad

- Song for Nero

- Meadowland

He publishes these as Thomas Holt. I've read them all, and can thoroughly recommend them - especially 'The Walled Orchard' and 'Olympiad'.

There's also Mary Renault - 'The Mask of Apollo' is about a Greek tragic actor.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Kell
fixed broken list code ;)

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorites: Laura Joh Rowland

I am reading The Snow Empress now, the twelfth novel in her series featuring Sano Ichiro, Samurai detective and his wife Reiko. The stories, very beautifully written, are set in the Genroku Period. Political Intrigues, mystery, the social life of this period and more.

The first book in the series is: Shinju

www.laurajohrowland.com

Then there is the classic Robert V. Gulik, with his series of Chinese detective stories. A historian, V. Gulik is true to the style and details of the classic Chinese detective stories, but makes it easy for us moderns to follow the story.

Maria

There are so many books in this genre I read, I'll try to remember the authors and titles for you.

Two of them I loved especially:

"Kagami", written by Elizabeth Kata.

Kata tells us the story of three generations of a Japanese family, beginning in the mid of the 19th century and ending with the terrible earthquake in 1923. In this very delicate time Japan's opening to the western world changes the way of life of the people and following the story of the protagonists, we learn about how it effected their circumstances, relationships, thoughts and feelings.

Cloud of Sparrows, by Takashi Matsuoka

This is a fascinating story, too. It is set in the same period like Kata's story, but from different viewpoints. Maybe more like a Japanese version of "SHOGUN", by James Clavell.

Sharing your love for this kind of books, I hope I was able to give you some inspiration :smile2:.

Maria

Edited by Michelle
merged

Another beautiful book is "The Tale of Murasaki", by Liza Dalby.

I must admit I haven't read the classic "The tale of Genji" yet, but I enjoyed how Dalby brings to life the poetess Murasaki, who invented the "shining prince".

The young Murasaki is fascinated by the Court life, the intrigues, politics, fashions and gossip she hears about only through her father. Being a lonely girl, she invents the prince Genji and his adventures. When her father and his family is sent to a desolate Northern province of Japan, Murasaki's Genji to her becomes like a friend who helps her through times of isolation and sorrow.

Her friends back at home, to whom she sends the tales of Genji, share them with more and more people and they become a great success at Court. Murasaki's dream of a life at the Court becomes true...

Murasaki lived in the 11th Century (Heian period) and (I think) "The Tale of Genji" is the first novel ever written. Liza Dalby has written another book, Geisha, I haven't yet read.

Currently I am reading "Life of an Amorous man", by Saikaku Ihara (1641-93). His stories about the restless young Yonosuke and his adventures in the pleasure districts and in taverns are quite different from the stories about Court life and Samurai, but also very intriguing and fun to read.

I am new to the Forum and I already got a lot of inspirations about more authors and books. It is so nice to hear from others who share the same like for this genre.

Tom Holt, who is best known for comic novels, is a Classicist by training, and has written some good historical novels set in the Ancient World.

Thanks for the heads up on Tom Holt, Sloth! I've just ordered Meadowland and look forward to discovering a new-to-me author.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Maria!

I wanted to pop into this thread to thank you for your Shinju recommend and for posting the link to Laura Joh Rowland's website. Both the Shinju series and her Adventures of Charlotte Bronte book look incredibly fascinating! Definitely adding to my wish list, and at the very top too! :D