5 a day...

Kate

I was wondering about juice! I know that 3 glasses of orange juice for example counts as just one fruit portion but if I was to have a glass of apple juice and a glass of orange juice, is that still just one portion or is it two?

fruit juice, whatever the type, quantity, combination only counts as one. This is because juice only adds so much value (e.g it lacks fibre and it is high in sugar) so you should aim for at least 4 'proper' fruit and veg on top of any juice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know it's not for the UK, but this is what I use: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_formats/hpfb-dgpsa/pdf/food-guide-aliment/view_eatwell_vue_bienmang-eng.pdf

I find it very helpful, as it gives examples of how much of something is considered a serving.

• 2 months later...

I find it very helpful, as it gives examples of how much of something is considered a serving.

A serving size should depend on how that food fits into your overall diet (ie how it serves your nutritional needs)

As for the 5 a day well that is a pretty low amount to aim for , when they came up with the number 5 they looked at how much people where eating at the time and decided 5 was a number that they taught most people could achieve, in short they used the

Them links are really interesting, for example I didn't really know it was a handful of grapes that counted as a portion.

Edited by Ben
Spelling error.

:roll:

The link Michelle posted says...

The problem with these sort of guides is they are usually miles off because they are written for Mister and Misses couch potato no one can possibly give you even a rough a guide with out knowing your

individual nutritional requirements :(

*wahoo I just noticed i now have 3 star's* :-)

For goodness sake, it's just a general guide, to help people eat more fruit and veg - it's not meant to be a detailed nutritional programme!

I appreciate that this seems to be your area of knowledge, but when members talk about these issues, it's just the area of general healthy eating that they're interested in.

For goodness sake, it's just a general guide, to help people eat more fruit and veg - it's not meant to be a detailed nutritional programme!

I appreciate that this seems to be your area of knowledge, but when members talk about these issues, it's just the area of general healthy eating that they're interested in.

:(:roll::(

I agree, it is just a general guide and if someone is making an attempt to improve their health, they should be applauded.

However I do know where Crotalus is coming from. Myself, I get annoyed at RDAs for vitamins. For instance the RDA for vitamin C will stop you getting scurvy but is nothing to do with 'health', or how much your body actualy needs.

I would definately recommend a juicing machine. It is a great way to get your five+ a day. Many bought juices (and other foods) are often heated to high temperatures which destroys any vitamins. If the label tells you the quantities of vitamins it is because they have been added.

For instance the RDA for vitamin C will stop you getting scurvy but is nothing to do with 'health', or how much your body actualy needs.
If the EU get their way no one will be alowed to sell anything over 100% RDA:motz:

I would definately recommend a juicing machine. It is a great way to get your five+ a day. .

Personally Id recommend making yogartless (I know I spelt that wrong but the spell checker is playing games today:roll:) smoothes instead for the simple reason that you get a far greater amount vitamins from the fruit plus when you juice you loose all the fibre

We have a juicer and it's great, it allows you to get more variety. For example, we really like cucumber and grape juice, and apple, celery and grape juice. Both are really nice.

We keep the pulp and bung it in casseroles, so you get the fibre too :-)

Having said that, with Mr Nellie being a keen gardener, we tend to eat a lot of veg anyway, but the juicer is fun. :roll: