Lucky by Alice Sebold

Loopyloo100

The strength of Alice really shines through in this memoir.

Alice Sebold, a student, was raped at 18 and when meeting her assailant on the streets a few month's later she has no hesitation but to report it to the police and prosecute. She hopes then that she can write a line under this event, but later having to deal with the loss of a friendship

because this friend Lila is also raped and Lila cannot begin to deal with the rape the same way Alice has and so finds it easier to end the relationship and pull away.

she realises life will not be so straightforward. Alice also had to deal with the fact that her mother suffered panic attacks through life and could not always be there physically to support her daughter, which must have been dreadfully hard for both of them. We also see how Alice deals with the relationships with the opposite sex, which held so many different feelings and thoughts for her.

This account by Alice Sebold of her rape and the way she tries to cope shows a great inner strength, however also shows the devastating stress that she suffers from the event, which initially she does not give full credence to as she doesn't realise how much this has taken a hold of her. This memoir is warm, it's uplifting, and also so terribly sad. Alice tells this account in a very non dramatic and straightforward way, and yet is still so full of feeling.

I'm not sure who to recommend this book to, as although I found it a gripping and emotional read, I do wonder if it would overwhelm some people and empower others, but I don't believe I'm here to judge.

I give this a rating of: 10/10

Edited by Loopyloo100

I read this book because I had loved The Lovely Bones and I didnt expect to "enjoy" it as such - it is uncomfortable reading and not advisable if you're feeling a bit down yourself! but it is a good piece of writing - It must be very theraputic to be able to write it all down - I have nothing but admiration for Alice Sebold :lol:

I read this too a good while ago. Had mixed feelings about reading this considering the actual topic but I have to say although very harrowing in parts I found it a compelling read. Sometimes I could barely come to terms with the fact that the story contained an actual factual account of something that had happened to another human being. How she could actually face going back to write about what happened to her is beyond me. What a brave lady Alice Sebold is!