Book Related Careers

Like most of you, my dream job is to own a second-hand bookstore, but till then, I'd love to work at the library. So, I'm in the process of trying to do that now. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks! :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few days ago, I had the strangest feeling that I should go to my local Waterstones at lunch time. When I got there what did I see - a sign in the window - full time book seller wanted ! I filled the form in and got my partner to take it back for me yesterday. Fingers crossed then that I will hear from them soon !

We walked past there on our way to lunch today - the sign has been taken down. Have they found someone already then, or does it just mean they have enough applicants I wonder ? :lol:

Had a letter waiting for me when I got home to say they had given it to someone 'more suitable'. I hate it when they say that as it makes me wonder how I am not suitable !

Had a letter waiting for me when I got home to say they had given it to someone 'more suitable'. I hate it when they say that as it makes me wonder how I am not suitable !

I've heard that Waterstone's are notoriously difficult to get a job with. They probably just mean that they had an applicant with experience in book sales. :)

I've heard that Waterstone's are notoriously difficult to get a job with. They probably just mean that they had an applicant with experience in book sales. :)
Yup - I could never get a job with Waterstones and I applied to three different branches at various points.

Like most of you, my dream job is to own a second-hand bookstore, but till then, I'd love to work at the library. So, I'm in the process of trying to do that now. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks! :lol:

Thats exactly like me lol Me and my mum want to get a bookshop together but we going to sell our other business first :) Till then I'm thinking about working in a library inbetween checking on the current business twice a week. My mum's friend has 2 bookshops one of them is hugeeeeeee!! We will be visiting this weekend, and he said theres some books he will just give us :lol:

That is exactly why I find it so difficult to understand their decision. I may not have experience at actually working in a book shop, but as a self published author who has managed to get her book into over 100 stores nationwide and has in depth knowledge of the publishing industry, making an effort to keep up to date on what is happening, I thought that would count for something. It seems that I was wrong. It will be interesting then to see who they did appoint - probably some blonde 20 something who thinks that Jordan (sorry, Katie Price) writes her own books ! Still, their loss will be someone else's gain and I might not have liked it there anyway - the Manager can be a bit funny.

You're probably right about that! Maybe I've been unlucky (at the 397 different Waterstone's stores I've visited) but a knowledge of the book industry (or indeed, of books) hasn't been an attribute possessed by many of the staff I've come across. More an ability to avoid customers and, if collared, to deal with their queries as monosyllabically as possible while staring at a point somewhere on the horizon.

OK, that's a bit unfair, I know, but if I go to a garage I expect the mechanics to know more about cars than I do, so why should a bookshop be any different?

I'd guess the manager was probably a bit frightened by you, to be honest. Bookselling is such a poorly paid job that most store managers probably want pliable youngsters who are grateful for their

I can be very gobby when I have to be, and you have to be like that an awful lot if you are a POD author like me, and and are trying to get your book into stores - you couldn't do it o9herwise, neither can you be easily scared or put off ! As for the £7 an hour bit, I wish I did earn that - my current employer pays one penny above the minimum wage, although admittedly we do get bonusses.

How come you've visited what must be all their stores though Roland - are you a rep or something ? !

They didn't say anything at all about what they were looking for - it was just a straightforward sign in the window with no information at all, other than the fact that it was a full time job. As for the questions - just the usual - contact details, education, previous jobs etc plus one or two other questions, not unlike those asked by other retailers - why are you interested in book selling, why Waterstones, mention a time that you worked as part of a team and what your contribution was and so on. All straightforward stuff, and nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.

I think to be honest it wasn't because they didn't feel I was suitable, it was more to do with the fact that by the time I saw the sign it had been up for a while already, and they may even have been already interviewing. There was also a delay in getting it back, as we were so short staffed I could not get out of the store. I suspect then that by the time i got it back they had already found someone, as the sign had been taken down by then. Still, it is not the only local branch, so I could always try some other ones if they need people.

• 9 months later...
Another Black Book fan! :) I actually met a Bernard Black wannabee the other day. He has a second-hand bookstall on Cambridge market. He was actually shouting at browsers and telling them to leave if they weren't buying. Also, I heard him tell a customer off for putting a book back in the wrong place.

Haha, I may have seen the man you mentioned, but luckily haven't been told off by him yet. :) Bernard Black is a legend.

From the moment I could read, I always wanted to be a writer. I wasn't sure about other jobs, my preference always changed about that, but about writing a book, I was always sure. That isn't going to happen though, but I do write stories for the pleasure of writing. ;)

For many years, one of my wishes was also to work in a library. Nowadays I don't really like our libary and perhaps that's why I'm not interested in that anymore. I would like to do something with writing and with books though. Perhaps something in publishing, I don't know.

But I'm happy enough to have the pleasure of writing for fun and reading nice books.

I'm a freelance book designer and typesetter and I work with production editors who're far less glamourous than the 'editors who do lunch.' We're the folks who take a raw, unedited manuscript and turn it into a real book with typeset pages, pretty covers, and even that lovely new book smell some readers rave about.