Most valuable book

My copy of Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. It lives in a plastic bag inside a paper bag inside a magazine case. I love it so much ^.^ I debated about buying it for ages, because I already had a paperback copy, but I'm so glad I bought it. It is a beautiful book; a hardback, printed like an old-fashioned leather-bound book, and has gorgeous pictures on almost every page. Plus, I adore the story itself.

The book never leaves my room in case it is hurt, and it only comes out of the bags when I am actually reading it.

Wow I don't know. My Bible is very important to me, that goes everywhere with me. The only other books I've not been willing to part with are my Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I think the book that has the most sentimental value for me are my leather-bound editions of Jane Austen. I have three volumes, with 2 books per volume. My mom gave them to me on 3 consecutive Christmases.

And the book with the most monetary value is probably our first edition of Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. We keep it locked up in a water-tight fire safe.

Wow I don't know. My Bible is very important to me, that goes everywhere with me. The only other books I've not been willing to part with are my Lord of the Rings trilogy.

That's my answer!:) My bible goes everywhere with me too. It is kept safe in a case because it is falling to bits. It is covered in annotation from church, christian union and my theology degree, and very much read. I wouldn't part with my LOTR trilogy either.

The most expensive of my books are most likely some of my textbooks. I bought quite a few in university. My bible dictionary springs to mind as costing around

I have several books with sentimental value more than monetary value that I would never part with. Books from my childhood, like Heidi and The Secret Garden and The Follyfoot Collection :) My Lewis Carroll collection which was a present from my Auntie who is no longer with us. And my special edition Rebecca which is beautiful!

Like Kat I too have several books of sentimental value that I would never part with, Black Beauty, The children of Cherry Tree Farm, Flambards trilogy - and a book about farming which was bought for me by my god father when I was about 7. I also have The Mallon trilogy by Catherine Cookson which was my first venture into grown up books.

I recently discovered a first edition Neuromancer in my bookshelf which according to a few posts online is worth a good little bit so I suppose that one.

• 5 months later...

When I was in year 11 (aged 16) at school, we had a brilliant English teacher who had a massive cupboard in the back of her classroom full of old books that were never used. We always joked with her that when we left at the end of year 11, she would give us all a book to save her having to clear them out. When it came to the end of year 11 before we left, she had in fact picked out a book for each of us personally, wrote a message for us each in the book and gave them out. I got 'Tom's Midnight Garden' by Philippa Pearce so I treasure that book from such a brilliant teacher :)

Sentimentally, I have a book that my granddad lent me just before he passed away, so I treasure it :) also, I have a copy of Hollow Tree House, that I was give as a christmas present when I was 7, it's still in okayish condition which is surprising, and it has a hand written note in the front from the person who got it for me

I have a copy of The Count Of Monte Cristo in hardback... its kinda falling apart, it came from my school library. I'm not sure how old it is - I must check it out, but I suspect its old.

My teacher/librarian allowed me keep it coz no one used the library.

Financially, probably our most valuable books are my first edition of Tolkien's The Silmarillion and our first American edition of Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. We keep the latter in a fire safe.

Sentimentally, I cherish all my Tolkien books, my leather-bound Jane Austen collection, and my grandfather's 1901 Shakespeare collection. He ruined the value of them when he wrote his name inside each and every volume...lol!

I have four, all sentimental value only:

A KJ version Bible and a Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, both presents from my fraternal grandmother. I also treasure an old dictionary which belonged to my father.

An autographed copy of And Four to Grow On by my cousin Frances Palmer Goris. This book is about adopting four young children and of course involves close relatives and locations near my home. Alas, my parents and I are not mentioned in the book, or we would be famous. :)

Mrs. Purple95 and I have a collection of autographed books that are special to us and certainly more valuable than these but I become more sentimental every day, ergo the above list.

Cheers,

dan :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I meant to check my copy of The Counte Of Monte Cristo when I was at home.... How did I forget???? Grr.

For some reason I think its an edition from the 1800's, but at most its the early 1900's. I really must find out >_<

When I was in year 11 (aged 16) at school, we had a brilliant English teacher who had a massive cupboard in the back of her classroom full of old books that were never used. We always joked with her that when we left at the end of year 11, she would give us all a book to save her having to clear them out. When it came to the end of year 11 before we left, she had in fact picked out a book for each of us personally, wrote a message for us each in the book and gave them out. I got 'Tom's Midnight Garden' by Philippa Pearce so I treasure that book from such a brilliant teacher :D

Wow, that's so nice. I wish I'd had something like that :D.

Ok, I'm going to go for Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman for a few reasons. Firstly, it's one of my all time favourites and I figured that definitely counts for something, hehe. Secondly, it was the first book to have a huge impact on me. I would say it changed my life but I think that's very cheesy, but you get the idea. Thirdly, it inspired me to write myself. I've also had it six years now which I supposes isn't very long to those who have had books for 20+ years. But, it was my favourite all through my teens and I can see myself loving it for years to come.

I also have a first edition hardback of Inkspell, the second in the Inkheart Trilogy. (Only have a paperback Inkheart, and no Inkdeath yet.)

Its not worth anything monetarily, obviously, since its only 4 years old. But its got a beautiful dustcover, blues and greens with a shimmery gold frame. So i'm going getting the first and third hardback first editions a.s.a.p and in years to come they will mean a lot to me.

Books I want: Early edition Wuthering Heights, theres some lovely ones, and I'd love to get a first edition Winnie-The-Pooh or House At Pooh Corner.

Theres a first edition Winnie-The-Pooh on ebay, only at

• 1 month later...