Karen Joy Fowler - The Jane Austen Book Club

Kell

The Jane Austen Book Club

Author: Karen Joy Fowler

ISBN # CN132199

Publisher: QPD

1st Published: 2004

288 pages

When a group of six completely different people come together to read the books of Jane Austen, they find that each one has, as well as their own favourite book, their own Jane. As they read together, they grow together, & as their lives entwine through their love of Austen, they learn more about each other

• 3 years later...

I liked that book a lot, but I couldn't really understand a few discussions because I still haven't read 'Mansfield Park' and 'Northanger Abbey'. But still, I enjoyed it and I liked the discussions about the Austen books I did read. It's interesting how Fowler gives each person a different perspective of Austens books and as a reader that allows you to get to know other opinions. It was also interesting to see how the members of the 'Jane Austen Book Club Forum' used Austen as some sort of guide in their own lifes. It was worth reading and perhaps buying one day. :lol:

Later I discovered there was a movie of this book. Though it was nice, I agree that the book was much better. The movie wasn't terrible though, it was ok

I actually saw the film again just this morning on Sky and it reminded me of how much I liked this book. I've read several Austen novels since I read this book and I think if I were to read it again now I'd get even more enjoyment out of it. :blush:

I want to read the book again too. First I want 'Northanger Abbey' and 'Mansfield Park' though, then a second read of 'The Book Club Forum' so I can understand the discussions better. Literature about literature, great recipe for a book. :lol:

I'm sure you will enjoy reading the book again. Rereading certain books can be an entirely new understanding of the work and enjoyment on a different level. Have a nice read. :blush:

I know that this is practically blasphemy here, but I prefer the movie. Even though I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, I didn't like this book.

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. You can even dislike both the book and the movie.

It doesn't matter, we all have different opinions and I like to know why someone has a different opinion to be able to understand different points of view. You can even learn something from people who you disagree with, people who are completely different from you. It makes life more interesting. :blush:

• 2 months later...

Yesterday, I've finished the two Austen books I hadn't read before, which means I can understand each discussion of the 'Jane Austen Book Club' now. Perhaps I'm going to read it again after a few months, if not this year, definitely next year. I'm looking forward to this and actually thinking about buying this book.

I'm not sure if my hopes for this book were too high, but I when I read it a few years ago, I was disappointed and more than a little bored, and I think I got about two thirds of the way through before putting it aside, as I just wasn't interested in the characters or their stories.

• 2 weeks later...