Weave

Title of book: From Baghdad, with Love

Name of authors: Jay Kopelman and Melinda Roth

Paperback: 256 pages

ISBN-10: 0553818856

ISBN-13: 978-0553818857

41MCumtfVL_SS500_.jpg

Synopsis:

When Marines enter an abandoned house in Fallujah, Iraq, and hear a suspicious noise, they clench their weapons, edge around a corner, and prepare to open fire. What they find during the US-led attack on the 'most dangerous city on Earth', however, is not an insurgent bent on revenge, but a tiny puppy left behind when most of the city's population fled before the bombing. Despite military law that forbids the keeping of pets, the Marines de-flea the pup with kerosene, de-worm him with chewing tobacco, and fill him up on Meals Ready to Eat. Thus begins the dramatic rescue attempt of a dog named Lava and Lava's rescue of at least one Marine, Lieutenant Colonel Jay Kopelman, from the emotional ravages of war. From hardened Marines to wartime journalists to endangered Iraqi citizens, "From Baghdad, With Love" tells an unforgettable story of an unlikely band of heroes who learn unexpected lessons about life, death, and war from a mangy flea-ridden refugee.

A member of my family recommended this book to me, so I borrowed it from her. In all honesty I really thought I would not like it, I do love animals but reading about war did not appeal but after two pages I was hooked! 'From Baghdad, with Love' is a lovely story about a marine who goes to amazing lengths to save 'Lava' the puppy he finds in a deserted house in Fallujah, Iraq. I got really caught it with it, I felt every disappointment when they are trying to get Lava to America and nothing seems to be working, all the other stories about unwanted pets which were particularly heartbreaking, there is also a lot of low moments for the troops and Lava the dog keeps the troops going and it shows, plus the fact that Lava the puppy is really plucky and defends everyone he loves, he is a bit of a character, an adorable dog.

It has a lovely ending too :roll:

If you get the chance, read this book

Rating: a well deserved 10/10 :)

Edited by Weave