Elizabeth's World of Books 2008

eschulenburg

Haruto Suzuki is a police inspector assigned to investigate the murder of a businessman in a Tokyo hotel. In the course of his investigation, he finds himself stowed away on a cruise ship, unwittingly witnessing a meeting between Japanese government and millitary officials and an Israeli army officer, discussing a shocking deal - trading nuclear bombs for intelligent robots.

Smith has updated the classic Asimov idea - the rise of intelligent robots - using cutting-edge science. He spends much of the beginning stages of the novel giving readers a mini lesson in artificial intelligence, using diagrams to illustrate much of the science. Smith is able to integrate the facts into the flow of the narrative well, so the story does not get bogged down in detail. Smith also includes an extensive bibliography at the end of the book to allow readers to delve further into many areas of interest examined by the novel.

In Haruto Suzuki, Smith has created an interesting, complex hero. Suzuki's fellow police officers call him "jinzouningen", which means an artifical human, and Smith draws many parallels between Suzuki and the robots he discovers. Suzuki's dependence on the rules he sets out for himself echoes the programmed rules the robots follow, as does his inability to allow intimacy. His obsessive-compulsive tendencies increase the sense that he does not fit in with the people around him. Smith's secondary characters are not as vividly drawn, leaving the reader to wonder at times about the motivations behind some of their actions.

Smith has written an exciting, fast-paced novel with elements that feel at times startlingly familiar. I would expect science fiction fans to enjoy this novel as much as I did.

Finished: 6/15/08

Rating: 7/10

Source: ARC from author

Edited by eschulenburg

I'm still looking - I might get lucky at some point.

Oh, please do. It's just such a strong, powerful story, a truly brilliant book that I'd hate for you to miss it. In case you can't find it, let me know, maybe we can work something out.

Review - Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi

Zoe Boutin Perry's life is about as exciting as a 17-year-old's can get. Her parents are the leaders of a new colony that is about to be founded. She has just made a new best friend, Gretchen, and is about to have a boyfriend, Enzo. She is practically a goddess to a race of aliens, the Obin, who have sent two of its members, Hickory and Dickory, to be her bodyguards. And then her ship gets "lost" as it jumps to her new world, and everything starts to go downhill from there...

This book is really good. Scalzi has written other books in this universe which I have not read, so I was worried that I would not completely understand what was going on, but I was immediately drawn into the story and did not feel like I was missing anything. He gives the reader background information in various ways - flashbacks, character memories, and character's storytelling - that catches you up but doesn't bog down the flow of the plot.

Scalzi does an incredible job of capturing the voice of a 17-year-old girl. Her sarcasm and angst were pitch perfect - I can remember feeling the emotions he has Zoe experience. His supporting characters are also vividly drawn - each character feels unique, both humans and aliens. He is able to interject some really beautiful writing in between pages of exciting action, which made me want to savor the reading experience, even as I couldn't wait to turn the page to see what would happen next. I found myself slowing down towards the end, however, because I sincerely did not want to leave Zoe and her family.

This book is really good. I know I already said that, but it bears repeating. I can't wait to read more by this author, and am so glad I was given the opportunity to meet Zoe and experience this wonderful story.

Finished: 6/21/08

Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: 9/10

(my apologies for a review that is basically useless...)

Review - Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

It's almost impossible for me to think of something intelligent to say about this book, other than "Go read this if you don't you're insane", but I know that's not terribly helpful for people who have 1000s of titles calling their name. It's a book of short stories, poems, character sketches, and a novella, so it's an easy book to dip in and out of, as I have been doing for the past couple of weeks. I've had a bit of a book-crush on Gaiman since reading his "Sandman" series - this isn't quite as heart stopping as that series, but it's pretty dang close.

Here's what Gaiman does better than just about anyone else - he writes a first sentence that makes it impossible to not keep reading. Here's a sample of first lines from this book:

"It is the immensity, I believe. The hugeness of things below. The darkness of dreams."

"October was in the chair, so it was chilly that evening, and the leaves were red and orange and tumbled from the trees that circled the grove."

"I like things to be story-shaped."

"In every way that counted, I was dead."

" 'If you ask me,' said the little man to Shadow, 'you're something of a monster. Am I right?' "

Don't you just want to know what comes next? This collection has a detective story, a zombie story, an alien story, a story about an epicurean club, a story set in the world of The Matrix, several poems, and so much more. If you like stuff a little weird, but beautifully written and with amazing ideas, I'd encourage you to jump into Neil Gaiman's head with this book. It's worth it!

Finished: 6/27/08

Source: My bookshelves

Rating: 8/10

I enjoyed your review :gl: So far I've only read Neverwhere, but I'm looking forward to reading more of his work. I have Good Omens on my TBR pile so I might read that next.

heh - I just felt like such a dork, posting a review with virtually no "review" - just "OhmygoshIloveit!!" I always wish I could live a few days in his head - I cannot imagine how he comes up with the stuff he writes.

Review - Popular Music from Vittula by Mikael Niemi

Matti and his best friend Niila grew up in Pajala, Sweden, north of the Artic Circle. It's a small town that even Sweden forgot existed. As an adult Matti narrates the story of his childhood, we are given a glimpse of what it is like to grow up in a place where time seems to stand still.

Matti and Niila shared everything growing up - their first days at school, their first tastes of alcohol, their first kisses, their first experience with death. Most importantly, they discover together a passion for music, first in a Beatles record, and later as they start their own band. As they grow from young boys to men, we share with them their loves, heartaches, and wonders.

Niemi has written a beautiful, funny, heartwrenching novel. He allows the reader to feel the confusion and frustration every child feels growing up, even in a completely foreign location. Occasionally, his narrator takes leaps into magical realism, which only serves to emphasize the dream-like world that children sometimes inhabit. Of course, he often also has the reader laughing out loud at some of the outlandish situations the boys find themselves in - wait till you read the mouse episode. Hilarious! I thoroughly enjoyed this well written coming of age story.

Finished: 7/4/08

Source: Franklin Avenue Library

**thanks ii for the recommend on this one!!:gl:

Review - The White Mary by Kira Salak

Marika Vacera is a journalist who has written about some of the most dangerous and horrific conflicts in the world. She has just returned from an terrifying assignment in the Congo when she learns that Robert Lewis, another journalist and her personal hero, has committed suicide. Marika decides to write a biography of Lewis, and in the course of her research she comes across information that seems to indicate that he might not be dead - in fact, he might be alive in Papua New Guinea. Marika decides to leave Seb, the man she loves, and embark on a journey through the jungle to try and discover the truth. With only her native guide, Tobo, Marika struggles to stay alive long enough to find out whether Lewis is alive or dead.

This book is quite amazing. Kira Salak is an award-winning journalist, and many of the experiences that Marika has in the novel are Salak's own. I truly do not believe that this book could have been written by someone who had not lived this life. Salak literally makes the jungle come alive - each page is brimming with details. The reader can hear the sounds, smell the smells, and see the sights that Marika encounters on her travels. Salak describes mosquite bites and leaches, as well as gun battles and torture, with the voice of one who has been there.

Salak also creates rich, interesting characters whose lives jump off the page. Marika is damaged, and the defense mechanisms she has built for herself are so strong that she is virtually unable to allow herself to be happy. Seb is wise and good, but with enough past baggage to be believable. Robert Lewis is weird, and difficult, but has moments of brilliance that allow the reader to understand why Marika has idolized him for so long. Tobo is perhaps the most interesting character - thrust into a situation he never wanted, he is patient but tough with Marika, and helps her make several very important discoveries about herself and her world. None of the characters are perfect - not even likable at times - but the flaws makes them seem completely real.

Salak has written a novel about journeys, and discovery, and figuring out what truly matters in life. I loved this book from start to finish, and will be recommeding it to everyone who will listen. Go read this book! It is brilliant, and will most certainly be on my list of favorites.

Finished: 7/9/08

Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: 9/10

Review - Tan Lines by J.J. Salem

Liza Pike is a lipstick feminist with a bestselling novel, a weekly guest spot on a political newsmagazine, a ticking biological clock, and a gorgeous husband who never touches her. Billie Shelton is a one-hit-wonder trying to salvage her dying career by seducing her producer. Kellyanne Downey is an aspiring actress with a past she would like to forget, whose bills are currently being paid by a 60-year-old married man. These three college friends who normally get together for one weekend a year are about to spend an entire summer season living together in a rented house in the Hamptons. The community - and the men - will never be the same.

This novel is trashy beach fluff personified. It has a blurb by Jackie Collins, and a dedication to Jacqueline Susann, so that should be a warning to potential readers who are looking for style and substance. It is, however, a whole lot of fun. It's a bit like reading a gossip magazine - you know you really shouldn't be interested, but somehow you can't stop. There is enough sex to make it a perfect read for lounging by the pool on vacation, and the plot moves quickly enough that it is impossible to get bored.

In novels like this, often the main characters are so one-dimensional that it is difficult to root for them. Liza and Kellyanne, however, are intriguing, with many facets to their personalities. The author gives them each struggles that are easy to identify with, so the reader is able to sympathize with them, even as we watch them make really stupid mistakes. Billie is harder to like - I found myself uncomfortable much of the time when reading the sections about her. Good characters always need some flaws, but she has so many that it almost makes her irredeemable. I actually felt relieved when she rather abruptly dropped out of the novel near the end.

If you are looking for a fun, fast read to take on vacation this year, I think this novel would certainly fit the bill. Don't expect a literary masterpiece - just get hooked by the first line, and enjoy the ride.

Finished: 7/17/08

Source: review copy from St. Martin's Press

the publisher shot of random, unsuspecting strangers reading the first line of the novel - definitely an attention-grabber!

(Probably NSFW!!)

Review - Foundation by Isaac Asimov

The Empire is falling. For 12,000 years, it has ruled over countless worlds, but now it is about to collapse. Hari Seldon has found a way to shorten the darkness that will result. He assembles a group of scientists and sequesters them on a lonely planet at the edge of the galaxy, purportedly to create and maintain an encyclopedia of all the knowledge in the universe. He calls this sanctuary The Foundation. However, in the years after he dies, his followers come to realize that there was more to his plan...

It feels odd writing a review of a book that probably everyone in the reading world has already read - how have I lived 32 years without reading it myself? Thank heavens I've corrected this gigantic flaw in my reading history....

I was interested to see how a sci-fi novel written over 50 years ago would stand up in the face of modern scientific advances. I mean, we all know how dorky the original Star Wars movies look now that their special effects are years out of date. (Ducking from the inevitable protests of fans - I can't help it, they look goofy.) To me, Foundation felt like it could be a completely modern novel. Asimov was able to project far enough into the future that we haven't caught up to him yet. The book seemed almost to be more a collection of short stories about the same idea than an actual novel - each section jumped so far into the future that most of the characters had already died. I am interested to read more books in the series to see Asimov fleshes out the different eras of the Foundation that he introduced in this book. I enjoyed it enough to want to read more, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorite reads for the year. Perhaps that's the problem with Great Works of Fiction - they never quite seem to live up to the hype.

Finished: 7/19/08

Rating: 6/10

I don't know anything about this book, but it looks interesting.

Did you know that the reason the Star Wars movies were made out of order is because George Lucas didn't want to make movies one two and three (Anakin Skywalker growing up, getting married, and Luke and Laia being born, then becoming Darth Vader) until the special effects industry was advanced enough for them, which is why he made four five and six first?

• 2 weeks later...

Review - Farworld: Water Keep by J. Scott Savage

13-year-old Marcus is an outsider - orphaned, friendless, with disabilities to his arm and leg that require the use of a wheelchair, the new boy at school facing a group of relentless bullies. His only escape is Farworld, the place he has created in his mind where magic abounds. When a menacing stranger appears threatening to take him away, Marcus finds himself suddenly pulled out of his normal life - and into Farworld. His rescuer is Kyja, herself an outsider in Farworld - in a land where magic abounds, she possesses none. The pair is guided by Master Therapass, who knows the true link Marcus has with Kyja. The Dark Circle has discovered the secret that can be the undoing of Farworld, and only Marcus and Kyja can convince the elusive Elementals to work together to make a path between the two worlds.

Savage has a wonderful, visual style of writing that enables the reader to see exactly how this new, magical world appears. Several times I found myself re-reading paragraphs, not because I was confused but because I loved reading Savage's descriptions of the world he has created. I believe he does a good job of allowing the reader to sympathise for his two main characters withouth making them seem weak. Both Marcus, with his physical limitations, and Kyka, with her insecurities, are often pitied by the people around them. Savage, however, never feels sorry for either of them, but allows them to discover how strong they can become when they work together and believe in themselves.

As a woman, I am thrilled to see a young girl in a novel who is written as a true equal to the young man. Too often, the girl is the sidekick - plucky and cute, but watching as the boy gets to be the hero. Savage gives Kyja just as much importance as Marcus, and allows her to be heroic in her own right. And the bad guys are truly scary - I found myself anxious several times when the kids were in danger.Trust me, you don't want to mess with the Thrathkin S'Bae!

I really enjoyed this book. Because this is the first in a series, Savage has to spend a lot of time explaining and introducing , which can at times slow the pace of the novel. However, he has created several characters - Master Therapass and Bonesplitter especially, that I can't wait to read more about. This series has a lot of potential, and I am very exited to read the continuing adventures of Marcus and Kyja. I can't wait for the next installment!

Finished: 6/9/08

Rating: 8/10

Source: ARC from author

Here's an interview I did with the author - he's a really nice guy.

In addition to being a cool guy, Scott Savage is also giving me an extra copy of his book to give away to someone - yea for free books! If you are interested, you can go to my blog and enter at this post:

As Usual, I Need More Bookshelves - Find Your Magic

He said it is fine to open the contest up to those living outside the US, so anyone is welcome. If you don't have an account, just leave an anonymous comment with your name, and that you are a member of BCF, and I'll get you signed up. It's a good book - go enter already! :friends0:

Review - Popular Music from Vittula by Mikael Niemi

Matti and his best friend Niila grew up in Pajala, Sweden, north of the Artic Circle. It's a small town that even Sweden forgot existed. As an adult Matti narrates the story of his childhood, we are given a glimpse of what it is like to grow up in a place where time seems to stand still.

Matti and Niila shared everything growing up - their first days at school, their first tastes of alcohol, their first kisses, their first experience with death. Most importantly, they discover together a passion for music, first in a Beatles record, and later as they start their own band. As they grow from young boys to men, we share with them their loves, heartaches, and wonders.

Niemi has written a beautiful, funny, heartwrenching novel. He allows the reader to feel the confusion and frustration every child feels growing up, even in a completely foreign location. Occasionally, his narrator takes leaps into magical realism, which only serves to emphasize the dream-like world that children sometimes inhabit. Of course, he often also has the reader laughing out loud at some of the outlandish situations the boys find themselves in - wait till you read the mouse episode. Hilarious! I thoroughly enjoyed this well written coming of age story.

Finished: 7/4/08

**thanks ii for the recommend on this one!!:blush:

It was my pleasure! This book is really a good example of the powers or recommending. I only read it because a friend of mine (he's actually Norwegian) said I have to read it as it's really good.

Did you know that the reason the Star Wars movies were made out of order is because George Lucas didn't want to make movies one two and three (Anakin Skywalker growing up, getting married, and Luke and Laia being born, then becoming Darth Vader) until the special effects industry was advanced enough for them, which is why he made four five and six first?

Interesting that is, yessss. (Sorry, I love Yoda.) I just wonder if he'll ever make seven eight and nine...

(blurb from Barnes & Noble)

The dramatic story of the real-life murder that inspired the birth of modern detective fiction.

In June of 1860 three-year-old Saville Kent was found at the bottom of an outdoor privy with his throat slit. The crime horrified all England and led to a national obsession with detection, ironically destroying, in the process, the career of perhaps the greatest detective in the land.

At the time, the detective was a relatively new invention; there were only eight detectives in all of England and rarely were they called out of London, but this crime was so shocking, as Kate Summerscale relates in her scintillating new book, that Scotland Yard sent its best man to investigate, Inspector Jonathan Whicher.

Whicher quickly believed the unbelievable

• 4 weeks later...