Chocolate Tarmac/Concrete/Crunch

Following on from the 'I Remember this' thread, does anyone remember Chocolate Tarmac from school? Oooh, it was fantata! All chocolatey and gooey. Well, I've just found the recipe for it and am always happy to share.

8oz (225g) Cold Margerine or Butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

12 oz (350g) Self-raising flour

1 oz (25g) Cocoa

8 oz (225g) caster sugar

A little extra caster sugar for dusting before and after baking

Beaten egg (optional)

Heat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180 C, 350 F.

Melt the butter in a pan. Sift the flour and cocoa into a bowl and stir in the sugar. When the butter is just melted, stir in the vanilla extract and add to the dry ingredients, with the beaten egg if using. Mix thoroughly and turn in to two 8 in (20cm), greased and lined, square tins. Wet the top of the mixture with a little cold water and sprinkle with caster sugar.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes. Once cooled, sprinkle with more caster sugar and serve in squares.

At my school we either had it with pink custard or green, peppermint flavoured custard. Yum!

• 4 months later...
Following on from the 'I Remember this' thread, does anyone remember Chocolate Tarmac from school? Oooh, it was fantata! All chocolatey and gooey.

At my school we either had it with pink custard or green, peppermint flavoured custard. Yum!

Is this the rock hard, crumbly chocolate pudding? I used to love that! We had ours with chocolate custard. Mmm. :welcome: