The Ingenious Edgar Jones by Elizabeth Garner

Michelle

I just finished 'Edgar Jones' and I loved it, it was a fantastic read. Edgar Jones was one of the most memorable characters ever. The father/son relationship between William and Edgar to me was the core of the book alongside the whole university world.

At times I felt so bad for Edgar, betrayed by people he looked up to but you could not help but love Edgar. I would love to see a sequel at some point.

As Michelle said, it is an unusual book and it will stay with you. If you are looking for something different, read 'Edgar Jones':D

• 1 month later...

I loved this! It was certainly unusual and as you said, Michelle, I imagine it's the sort of book that stays with you long after you've finished it.

I believe that Elizabeth Garner originally intended Eleanor Jones to be called Emily Jones though...

In my copy, on page 43 "Once Edgar had been given the run of the wilderness, it was impossible to keep him from it. He would sit by the door, howling fit to shake the walls until Emily put him out to play."

I was rather confused for a second and wondered who the heck Emily was! She crops up again...

The other is on page 151. "Emily frowned, catching the run of the silver as it slid down the incline."

I expect they've been told by now, but I've emailed Headline just in case!

ETA: The email bounced and their website is 'under construction'! Ah well, I tried to tell them!

Edited by Janet

• 1 year later...

the-ingenious-edgar-jones.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Set in nineteenth-century Oxford, and shot through with a powerful sense of magic, Elizabeth Garner's new novel will appeal both to fans of historical fiction and to the huge Susanna Clarke/Philip Pullman fanbase.

In nineteenth-century Oxford, an extraordinary child is born - Edgar Jones, a porter's son with a magical talent. Though his father cannot see beyond his academic slowness, his abilities as a metalworker and designer are quickly noticed, and become a source of tension within the family. When Edgar comes to the attention of a maverick professor at work on a museum of the natural sciences, Edgar is at once plucked from obscurity and plunged into the heart of a debate which threatens to tear apart the university. Edgar's position is a dangerous one - will he be able to control the rebellious spirit that fires his inventiveness, but threatens to ruin him, and to break up his family once and for all?

I really enjoyed this book. I didn't know what to expect from the blurb, and in fact it is a lot more complex than the blurb lets on. The star of the show is Edgar. He is an exception in every way. He is a genius. From a young age he is creative, exploring the local neighbourhood and inventing all kinds of things. He catches the attention of an Oxford professor, who uses Edgar for his needs and then dismisses him. Edgar, just a child, seeks revenge, which could cause mayhem and destruction wherever he goes, but can anyone, or anything really keep him down?

This is an exciting, gripping book. Garner is a literary genius. Her descriptions are full and rich. Her writing style is easy to get into and enjoyable. She is imaginative and creative. I liked her characters, how each was different and how they all fitted together to make this wonderful book. She explores history, God and science and family values. All of which she does successfully.

I don't think the ending was particularly convincing, but that is the only compliant. This is a must-read book.

8/10