Musicals

Inanna

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops yes I meant We will rock you, of course

personally I didn't enjoy the show, it could have been much better

the only funny and entertaining thing about the show was that the main actor forgot to close his pants/zipper or whatever one calls that, and because I went watching the show with my class, you can imagine our reaction haha :)

*hugs Giulia* Someday we shall go to Wicked and see it three times rapid fire!
Oooh! Can we go dressed as Glinda & Elphie - I don't mind being either - with, like, ballgown/cape, crown/pointy hat, wand/broom, facepaint and whatnot?!

Breaking news: I have just discovered what may well be one of the awesomest musicals ever. Thank you,

, for introducing me to Man of La Mancha - I.e. Don Quixote, the Musical, class of 1965. While I haven't read Don Quixote yet, I've always been fascinated by the idealism in the face of so-called reality that it represents, and it seems to me like this may be another Les Mis-like case, where a book too long and complex to be captured properly on film finds its best adaptation through the emotionally concentrated medium of song. Just consider the sheer stunningness of these words:

To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe

To bear with unbearable sorrow, to run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong, to love pure and chaste from afar

To try when your arms are too weary to reach the unreachable star.

This is my quest, to follow that star

No matter how hopeless, no matter how far

To fight for the right without question or pause

To be willing to march into Hell for that heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true to this glorious quest

That my heart will lie peaceful and calm when I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this: that one man, scorned and covered in scars

Still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable star.

1...2...3... *bawls eyes out*!

Oooh, I love my musical theatre! We're off to see Stephen Sondheim's "Into The Woods" at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre tonight, so pray for fine weather, people!

It's a fantastic show, performed in it once and performing in a production again in the autumn.

Hope you enjoyed it at Regent's Park - very jealous! A friend of mine saw it there and was blown away by it.

• 1 month later...

Off to see Sweet Charity up in London tonight, with some friends over from Toronto. Second time for me, third for my wife. It's good (obviously!).

Excellent, Roland! I've not seen the stage production, but have always enjoyed the film with Shirley Maclaine. I always remember my sister had a little framed print of it too so it brings back good memories :D. Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought my Christmas present to myself - a signed (by the man himself) first edition copy of Stephen Sondheim's Finishing the Hat, which contains the lyrics from all his work between 1954-1981, his musings on the songwriter's craft and lots more besides.

I don't think I'll ever get round to reading it - I'm just going to sit there and look at it in awe.