Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard

I recommended this one for Michelle and heartily agree with it all. It was a wonderful read. It also helped me through a difficult period just after my Uncle died. Those who have read it may understand why.

So glad you like it Michelle. There is a bookring on Bkxing for her new one 'Star Gazing'

I've been in contact with the author, and she is quite lovely. As an interesting point, she has mild bi-polar herself, so the portrayal would have been accurate. She's hopefully joining us at some point, as a featured author, but will at least be doing an interview.

Thanks for the recommendation Inver. :)

I think I may offer this one as a book ring here.

I've been in contact with the author, and she is quite lovely. As an interesting point, she has mild bi-polar herself, so the portrayal would have been accurate. She's hopefully joining us at some point, as a featured author, but will at least be doing an interview.

Thanks for the recommendation Inver. :)

I think I may offer this one as a book ring here.

Glad you have been in touch with her....hope you told her 'Inver' sent you....as we did have her to our bookcrossing meetup in Aberdeen, but unfortunately I didn't manage to get there after organising it. I'm sure others would enjoy it as a bookring.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is my review of the book:

emotional-geology.jpg

Synopsis:

Rose Leonard is on the run from her life. Taking refuge in a remote island community, she cocoons herself in work, silence and solitude in a house by the sea. But she is haunted by her past, by memories and desires she'd hoped were long dead. Rose must decide whether she has in fact chosen a new life or just a different kind of death. Life and love are offered by new friends, her lonely daughter, and most of all Calum, a fragile younger man who has his own demons to exorcise. But does Rose, with her tenuous hold on life and sanity, have the courage to say yes to life and put her past behind her?

A unique book in many ways. Gillard deals with death, bi-polar mental illness and love in middle-age people. Well, I loved it. I could not put it down. Gillard is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. I really enjoy her writing style; she is so imaginative and the way she describes landscapes and feelings is magical. I could picture what was being described, and she wrote so well I now long to go there and discover the island for myself. I also appreciated the map in the front of the book and the little bit of information about the island. They helped with the reading immensely.

Once again, the characters were just fantastic. Rose, who suffers with manic depression is dealt with sensitively and informatively. Calum, well he was a character I fell for. Even with his own troubles he was there for Rose. What a man. And my favourite, his sister Shona. She seemed delightful.

I have finished this book feeling satisfied. This is more than chick-lit, where the protagonist falls in love, this is a story of depth, of healing, death and illness, and it was beautiful. A part of me wishes it hadn't finished and I know I will invest in my own copy of this book, and indeed Gillard's other novels, as all have had an effect on me, and all I will want to read, and read again.

I can only praise this book and encourage others to read it too.

10/10

• 4 weeks later...
All three of Linda's books were great and I sure hope #4 gets published as I for one would love to read it :lol:

Have still to read #3 (putting it down as next to read) and definitely #4 when it is published.

All three of Linda's books were great and I sure hope #4 gets published as I for one would love to read it :lol:

Yeah me too. If all else fails, I think it should be released as an e-book for us!

• 2 months later...

I finished reading 'Emotional Geology' this afternoon, having started it last night.

This is the kind of book that resonates with anyone who has ever felt emotional hurt of any kind, whether the hurt is from outside or inside of ourselves.

It's a powerful story of loss, of sought redemption, and the slow reclaiming of a life in tatters. It is a lesson in being true to yourself and being honest in all your dealings with others, sometimes to the detriment of all concerned.

In 'Emotional Geology' you cannot separate the text from the landscape as they are so exquisitely entwined. There is no clear definition between the raw emotion and the elements that have given the landscape texture and desolate beauty.

'....the Cuillin is seen

rising on the other side of sorrow. '

(Sorley Maclean quoted in 'Emotional Geology')

Beautifully used.

• 3 months later...

You're very welcome, Inver.

I think it's probably a different book when you re-read it because you know all the things that are the shock revelations, so you know what the characters really mean when they say things. :D I don't know if that spoils all the suspense - how would I know? I'm just the author - or if it creates a different kind of suspense, as in "Look out behind you!" or knowing that the Titanic is steaming towards the iceberg.

The psychology of re-reading intrigues me. Why does a book still work when we know what will happen?

The psychology of re-reading intrigues me. Why does a book still work when we know what will happen?

For me, I think it's because a re-read is no longer about what will happen, it's either to try and gain a better understanding of the plot or characters, but more often about recapturing the feeling and emotion I felt during the first read.

The best way I can describe it is that it's like eating my favourite ice-cream - I know it's what it's going to taste like, and that I will enjoy it. I could go and try a flavour I've never had, and it might taste better, or it might taste worse, but I know with my favourite that it will taste good, and it will be a pleasure.