Nineteen Minutes / We Need to Talk about Kevin - Similar?

supergran71

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered that too actually when I read about '19 minutes'. Not sure if I could read another story like that, having teenage boys of a similar age!!

I have read both books and although they have the same subject matter they have two very different view points and the two teenage boys are not as alike as you may first believe. Nineteen minutes follows the story of the people affected more and also follows the trial unlike we need to talk about kevin. Personal opinion I think nineteen minutes is better.

I have just finished reading "...Kevin". I found it very slow and the first 150 pages were hard work. After that it picked up and liked the last section of the book. I would probably give it a 7/10.

Not got "19 minutes" yet but am tempted to give it a go.

In my opinion the only similar thing between the two is the initial subject matter. So far Nineteen Minutes covers a lot more angles, but as I read more my opinion may change.

Nineteen Minutes was a lot better then WNTTAK although I did enjoy that one too.

I echo what Soulae said above that they do have similar subject matter but from completely different angles and I too enjoyed Nineteen Minutes more.

• 8 months later...

Oh dear.

Am I alone in thinking 'Kevin' was a far better read than 'Nineteen Minutes'? 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' is one of my favourite books of all time.

I preferred 'Kevin' by a clear mile. I mean 'Nineteen Minutes' was OK, but Jodi Picoult didn't really seem to get deep into my feelings and emotions as did Lionel Shriver. 'Kevin', for me, was far more true to life.... way more believable. That may have made 'Nineteen Minutes' easier and a more 'enjoyable' read but I think the subject matter demanded a more in depth, serious approach and that's what LS gave me.

To be honest I thought the court case and the 'twist' at the end of 'Nineteen Minutes' was just stupid.;)(does that mean hide behind the curtain while I speak?)

I still gave Nineteen Minutes a 3 star though, like I said it was easy to read and didn't make you think too hard.

I disagree. Although, I can't make a fair judgment as I never actually finished 'We need to talk about Kevin'. I couldn't get into it and found the writing style didn't appeal to me at all. Whereas with Nineteen Minutes, I found it drew me in straight away. I also disagree that it doesn't make you think. I don't think I've ever read a Jodi Picoult book that hasn't been thought provoking. They all deal with difficult subjects and are unlike many other books. She presents both sides of the story in a way that allows you to make your own decision. Her books make me more of an active reader.

Having said that, I would like to give '..Kevin' another go as I was only fifteen when I first tried it.

"I disagree."

lol. It is with many thanks to you BookBee8 that I have even read nineteen minutes.

I'm not sure your trying Kevin again would work too great if you were to sit down with nineteen minutes in mind. The ideas were the same perhaps... but really they can't be compared too closely. Maybe had I not had Kevin in mind when I read Nineteen minutes.....;)

I say that because I actually did enjoy reading 'Nineteen Minutes', as I did the other Jodi Picoult... I think I am being critical of it only in comparison with 'Kevin' because, to me, 'Kevin' was just outstandingly written... I just loved it.

Perhaps also I am not the right person to comment as I have had a lot to do with bullies and the bullied and so 'Nineteen Minutes' failed at a research level whereas I should remind myself it is just a story... it is not meant to be real or true... it's just a story.

What concerns me, on a personal level, about the lack of obvious popularity for the writing of Kevin, is I finished it and thought "'WOW' I wish I had written that!" - Now if ever I do get around to writing that book (been prattling on about it for..... ooooooo a lifetime now) and I reach the dizzy heights of my own approval..... nobody is going to buy it... or if they buy it they won't be able 'to get into it'....... or they just plain won't like it.

Ahhh well.

I have just finished reading "...Kevin". I found it very slow and the first 150 pages were hard work. After that it picked up and liked the last section of the book. I would probably give it a 7/10.

It is really interesting to read this, I read Nineteen Minutes last year and enjoyed it and have just started Kevin but struggling to get into it and am thinking of putting it aside for a while.