Dexter

Mia

Anyone watching this? I was a bit unsure about the concept: Dexter is a serial killer who works for the police as a "blood splatter" expert in murder cases. He does not feel normal human emotions, but has a need to kill. His father found out about this when Dexter was young and, realising that his compulsion to murder could not be stopped, taught him to murder only those that deserved it (ie other murderers).

Kind of a weird set up, and certainly of dubious morality, but Dexter is a surprisingly sympathetic character. He strives for a "normal" life with his girlfriend and keeps his murderous activities secret. Meanwhile, a serial killer dubbed The Ice Truck killer is murdering people and taunting Dexter (last week The Ice Truck Killer tried to frame Dexter and nearly succeeded).

I didn't know if I'd find the violence too much, but the camera thankfully cuts away before we really see anything. There are also some good sub-plots involving Dexter's sister, girlfriend and her violent ex, and the various characters in the police dept.

I'd definitely recommend this series. :lol:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started watching it on FX and then I missed some episodes but they are showing the series on ITV1 so I have been catching up there. Its a really good series and Dexter is a wonderful character, I like how much his Dad influenced growing up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still watching this and it's really good. :) We're just up to the part where

the Ice Truck killer has been revealed as the creepy prosthetics maker who is going out with Dexter's sister!!

Dexter has become one of my favorite sgows- he is such a wonderful character- a very complex and complicated person

• 1 month later...

Blimey, I've only just seen Season 1! I'm watching it on terrestrial UK TV, so I'm obviously waaay behind.

It was an excellent series. I worked out who was the Ice Truck Killer pretty soon, but I didn't work out that he was Dexter's brother - that was a great twist.

Yeah. Season 1 was fantastic, but so is season 2. It takes a different turn but it's just brilliant television.

Season 1 was actually mostly adapted from the first Dexter novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. Season 2 however, is all new material. Brilliant television.

I love the Dexter series! My mom actually got me hooked on it. Season 3 will start in the fall on SHOWTIME here in the US. I ordered that channel just for The Tudors and Dexter. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Wow, I am surprised the tv show is based on a book series! But then again it seems like most films and television lately are either based on novels or are remakes.

I started watching the series before I read the first book, and I actually think I prefer the series - I know, that's almost blasphemy! But the characters in the series are so ingrained in my mind that the places where they are different in the book really bugged me. I can't wait for season 3 to start!

• 1 year later...

I knew there was a Dexter thread here somewhere!

I'm currently on episode 10 of season 1 and what can I say? I'm addicted. I find the premise ethically fascinating and, though the twists are sometimes obvious -

I identified Rudy as the Icetruck killer the second he walked into the frame, for instance

- the complex likeability of the characters more than makes up for it.

I particularly like Rita, she's got such an adorable innocent smile, and Angel - it broke my heart when I discovered that

he and his wife were actually separated

, now that's one I hadn't seen coming.

Ah well you see, I am, er... bypassing the DVDs as such... do I look like I'm made of money ;)?! No, and (like Erasmus) what little money I do I instantly spend on books!

Can't wait to have the time to watch the conclusion of Season 2, though *bites nails*!

I'm not sure why this should be but I love crime series (Criminal Minds, J.A.G. before it got hijacked as political propaganda, CSI: Las Vegas, the original Law & Order, even the dreadfully cheesy Close to Home) and can't stand crime novels, which is why I'm watching Dexter hungrily but have no interest in reading the books - something which would never happen within any other genre!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone else a fan of Dexter? Seems the thread hasn't been posted on for a while. I've just finished watching the Season 6 finale and although I didn't think it was as good as Season 4 (one of the best series finales ever), I thought it was better than 3 & 4. Interestingly, the 'religious' angle they played throughout the serious has been knocked by most people I've read reviews by, and it seems like there's not as many people who enjoyed this particular series.

Without giving too much away, I thought the denouement was particularly well handled and I'm massively interested in seeing where they will go with it from here. They left a some clever sub-plots (the geeky lab guy for one) hanging around too, so it will be fascinating to see how they fit him in with what shall obviously be the main plot (anyone who's seen it will surely know what I mean).

I'm excited to see Season 7, which I believe airs in America late September. :D

We are so far behind here. :( We haven't even seen the beginning of season 6. I think it's out on DVD already, so maybe I should start investing and give up on waiting for it on TV.

We are so far behind here. :( We haven't even seen the beginning of season 6. I think it's out on DVD already, so maybe I should start investing and give up on waiting for it on TV.

Look like you're best bet Kylie. It's worth it though, Season 6 was great in my opinion. :P

Can't wait for season 7. This will be very interesting for sure.

And season 8 will be the last one!

I'm so excited to see what they do with it. It's going to be so fascinating. Ah, I read somewhere about Season 8 being the finale; in some ways that's a shame because I think they could go further with it, but at the same time they'll want to go out with something really special so I'm sure they'll do an explosive two-season story-arc to finish up with. :D