Dr Who Series 4

Michelle

I did say we got 16 too! :welcome2:

Donna mentioned Murder on the Orient Express quite early on in the episode.

There were also allusions to the board game Cluedo - Professor Peach being the obvious one!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were also allusions to the board game Cluedo - Professor Peach being the obvious one!

Yes, the 'in a library with a lead pipe' thing. I thought that was a bit of a cheaty cop-out.

Or somebody didn't know the difference :welcome2:

I wrote to Derren Brown a couple of years ago and he sent me an autographed photo! :D

D'you hang it over the mantelpiece to keep the kids away from the fire? :welcome2:

I like his programme but the guy is very creepy looking and I don't like to look at him!

There were some on the fear factor that weren't actual mentions. Here are all the ones they put: The Man in the Brown Suit, Appointment with Death, The Unexpected Guests, The Body in the Library, The Double Clue, Strange Jest, The Unbreakable Alibi, The House of Dreams, The Four Suspects, Curtain, Wasp's Nest, The Lonely God, Dead Man's Folly, Murder is Easy, The Blood-Stained Pavement, The Call of Wings, Cards on the Table, The Love Detectives, Butter in a Lordly Dish, While the Light Lasts, The Theft of the Royal Ruby, Endless Night, Crooked House, The Actress, Ordeal by Innocence, Personal Call, Taken by the Flood, The Moving Finger, Sanctuary, They Do It with Mirrors, Nemesis, Destination Unknown, The Voice in the Dark, Death Comes as the End, Murder at the Vicarage, Dumb Witness, Have You Got Everything You Want?, Death in the Clouds, Destination Unknown.

Well, I assumed they were Christie novels, anyway. Dunno if they are.

Guest Sedgewick

As a lifelong Doctor Who fan, I've been equally pleased and appalled with what has been done with the show these last few years. The return was fantastic and the pairing of Christopher Ecclestone and Billie Piper was a great piece of casting. It's just a shame that Ecclestone bowed out so early as the gurning fool that is David Tennant has been a lowlight of the show for the last three years - his incarnation, when he finally moves on, will probably by my least favourite doctor of the ten who have, canonically, played the role.

As regards the episodes, I'm still not convinced that 45 minutes is long enough for a good episode although there are instances (Blink, for example, or The Girl In The Fireplace) that show it can be done. I suppose by citing those two it shows utmost respect for what Steven Moffat has put in to the show. Russell T. Davies' episodes are more hit and miss (with an overuse of the same old tropes) but, at the same time, I realise he is writing more episodes than anyone else. He has produced some good ones (The Long Game, Gridlock, etc.) but there have been a number of right stinkers in there, especially that awful Big Brother/The Weakest Link in space episode - and that's his problem, he like to shoehorn contemporary references into a time travel show, as if some crappy TV programmes will still be getting commissioned in the year 51st Century. (If one is, please let it be Doctor Who, of course.)

But, at the same time, RTD has produced an interesting four season long story arc, which we are soon to see the finale of. While the scripts may have been dodgy at times along the way, it's also plain to see how much seeding has been done as far back as season one as regards the finale of season four.

It will also be great to see what the latest production crew can do with Davros, who is hinted at in the latest season trailer on the BBC website.

Guest Sedgewick
I think she [Jenny] will be back in the finale

Probably not. The plan was to have her die at the end of the episode and that was the last we'd hear of her (thankfully). But, Steven Moffat asked that she be kept alive, for purposes unknown, and with him set to take over the show in 2010, I see that as being when she comes back into the series.

Tonight's episode was rather good! It was bloody scary in parts too - all the kiddies must have been terrified at the sight of a skull in a spacesuit menacingly stalking towards our heroes (I know I was scared!). The death of the young girl was very sad too, with her voice repeating on after she died. :friends0: Can't wait for part two!

Guest Sedgewick
The death of the young girl was very sad too, with her voice repeating on after she died.
But at the same time, while she was nice to look at - and should have been wearing a space-bikini - the acting was terrible...until she died. But then, she's in the cast for next week. So we'll see.

Yeah, but how many kids are going to be put off reading by this episode? Can you imagine it: "Hey kids, wanna go to the library?" *Traumatised kids run off screaming* :friends0:

Yeah, but how many kids are going to be put off reading by this episode? Can you imagine it: "Hey kids, wanna go to the library?" *Traumatised kids run off screaming* :friends0:

My 8 yr old announced at the end - When we go to the library can I take my torch?