Dr Who Series 4

Michelle

I'm surprised there's no comments yet! My basic feeling was that it was aimed just a little too 'young'.. it reminded me more of a Sarah Jane episode. But, on the whole, good fun..

the adipose were cute and funny, DT was just as adoreable, CT was not too bad, and we LOVED the glimpse of Rose at the end! (I'm still a little annoyed they're bringing her back, but my daughter's love for her is catching, and if they handle it well it may be ok.)

I would imagine views will be divided, but I thought that for an opening, it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next 12 weeks. ;)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first episode was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, I was not that enthused about Catherine Tate being the new Doctor's assistant but hey give the girl a break eh?, she was okay but it is early days fans!

I thought the adipose were the cutest wee things ever! The part with the Doctor and Donna mouthing to each other was really funny:lol: And the 'amazing' appearance of Rose, I thought she as gone, get gone girl!

It may have been her first episode but remember we've seen her in the Christmas special '06...and hardcore fans have been following internet news and trailers for months now. So we've had time to make up our minds. :irked:

(The proper addicted have also been to conventions and exhibitions).

I'm not sure being a hardcore fan of David Tennant gives you the same amount of kudos though ;)

It was okay, I suppose, but I wasn't too impressed. I agree with Michelle that it was too childish, like a Sarah Jane adventure.

Things I liked:

Being able to look at David Tennant. :irked:

The bit with them mouthing to each other was good, and hilarious when they looked round and realised everyone in the room was watching them!

The fact that they found each other - I wasn't keen on CT the first time I saw the Xmas ep (too shouty), but when I watched it again she grew on me. I felt sorry for her regretting her decision to stay on Earth and then changing her mind and desperately trying to find The Doctor (although the fact that she turned him down in the first place may go to prove that she's not right in the head).

Things I didn't like:

The whole story was a bit daft, and so was the Doctor. Surely the name "Adipose Industries" would have alerted him sooner to a connection to the Adiposians?

Sarah Lancashire hamming it up.

The utterly ridiculous Wile E Coyote moment when the teleport beam switched off and Sarah L took the time to look around and down before gravity suddenly kicked in, just like in a roadrunner cartoon. ;)

The Adipose themselves - too cute to be menacing, but people were dying, ie poor Stacey. But I guess it doesn't matter that she died, she was only a comedy fat person.

So, it was nice that Dr Who is back, but I hope next week's ep is better than this one.

The utterly ridiculous Wile E Coyote moment when the teleport beam switched off and Sarah L took the time to look around and down before gravity suddenly kicked in, just like in a roadrunner cartoon. ;)

We thought that was a bit lame too!

I also loved the miming bit. Some of the members on the Neighbours forum said they were having difficulty following the conversation - I guess that's when being slightly hard of hearing comes into its own as I had no such problems!).

It was great to see Bernard Cribbins - I love him as an actor.

He appeared in a 'non cannon' Doctor Who film years ago!

Sad that the actor who played Donna's dad died. :irked:

All in all, about a 7/10 for this episode, but I have high expectations.

I am thrilled to have doctor who back on tv, i was that engrossed in Saturdays episode, that I hadnt noticed Libby had thrown up most of her feed all over herself, me and the sofa...sorry, was that too much info!!! :lol:

Last year I wasn't as into it as series 1 and 2, but this series looks like a good one. I love Catherine Tate- so funny! And my brother liked those Adipose, or whatever they're called, the aliens that were made of living fat after taking the tablets. I can't wait until Saturday- that one looks good when they're in Pompeii!

Well, that was a vast improvement on last week's opener! A much more multi-layered story, with serious moral issues to decide, ie

should the Doctor save the people of Pompei, knowing what's going to happen? Again, Donna was his "conscience", as was pointed out, he "needs someone sometimes".

I have to say that the "look" of the episode was amazing - either a lot of money was spent on it, or it just looked that way! I loved the way everything was in red tones and hot looking - you could feel the heat just watching it. Very good indeed.

I liked:

The sulky teenage boy - teenagers were the same even in those days!

As mentioned previously, the look of the thing - the Sybiline priestesses, the sets, the flame monster thing (looking kind of like Treebeard aflame).

The running joke that every time they actually spoke Latin, it came out as Welsh!

I didn't like:

The fact that I couldn't tell what Donna was saying sometimes - she needs to speak more clearly.

The miraculous escape from the mountain. Doctor: "If we pull the lever we're not going to survive this." Me: "Oh yes you are, it's only episode two." :lol:

But all in all, a very good, enjoyable episode, even though it was rather sad.

Mia, I couldn't agree more! I'm afraid Donna is annoying me a bit, and I'm not yet sure if I'll get used to her or not. The storyline was really good.. even though I had to explain it to Beth afterwards!

I think this could be the reason that Dr Who is popular with so many people - having the different writers means that there is something to please everyone.

He is rather attractive, even though for 95% of the time he is pulling stupid faces!

Prospero, did you ever see him in Casanova? A great series (but sad at the end).

I didn't, as I wasn't into him then and the story didn't appeal to me. I became a convert when he became the Doctor, though, as I'd always loved the show so it was inevitable I'd fall for whatever actor played him.

1) You can watch the latest episode any time you want for up to a week after it has been on by going to www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

2) David Tennant has a really weird "oh, ****, we're all gonna die" face. He should get a new one

3) people should stop telling the Dr he looks older or DT will get a complex

4) one of my friends said Fires of Pompeii was boring, another said it was confusing.

5) I am refusing to get excited about the return of Rose until she has been AND gone again, because there are so many ways that it could be done badly.

6) I always think the first episode of the series are less serious than the others. I loved the jokes and funny scenarios eg the window talking

7) CT's voice is annoying, but she did well. I like their relationship and the Spartacus thing. I liked the thing in the first episode with the "You just want TO MATE?????"

8) I have run out of things to say. Dammit. I wanted to get to 10

"Casanova" was when I first became aware of David Tennant and thought "actually, he's rather gorgeous!" It's certainly worth watching. :lol:

I first met him in 'Blackpool' which was excellent!

I am sad enough to have done Latin in school and the course we followed was the story of a family in Pompeii, their names: Caecilius, Metella and Quintus!