The Food in Wales . . .

Acesare*

. . . was absolutely magnificent! I haven't eaten so much in many years!

Roast Pork

Roast Goose

Beef Casserole

Hare Casserole - which I was surprised to really like (I'm not a fan of rabbit)

Chilli con Carne

All served with piles of veg - roast potatoes, baked potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, roast parsnips, mashed swede, my Mum's fabulous red cabbage, and gallons of home made gravy!

The most amazing thing about these meals is that they were all cooked for 16 people almost single handedly by my Aunt.

I was only there for 3 nights! :eat:

Jo xx

• 5 weeks later...

You know what gets me? There are so many ill-informed, small-minded bigots over on this side of the pond who say that British cooking is BLAND!!!

Can you believe that nonsense????

They are absolutely out of their ever-lovin' minds.

Jo, I'm intrigued by the beef casserole...

Oooooh beef casserole - a real winter favourite!!

Slowly stewed beef in the oven, with vegetable, (onions, carrots &mushrooms) with potatoes in the same gravy, cooked, at your ovens lower temperatures, for a long slow 6 hrs or more.............mmmm, I must do one next week.

My husband's favourite.......

Britain is far from bland - we could teach the others a few things!!! : :raspberry: :eat2:

Mmmmmmmmm yes! I think what a lot of other nationalities can't seem to handle about British food is that we tend towards heavier, "hearty" meals which might be considered a little stodgy, but only in comparison to the lighter stuff from the continent. The thing they seem to forget is it gets very cold here & we like some good, hot food to keep us going. It's flavoursome & it give you the energy to get through a horrid, wet winter. Good old-fashioned comfort food!

And I adore dumplings. Dale says mine are to die for, I have to say. I'm rather proud of my fluffy, light herby dumplings...

I think Britain got a bit of a name about food, as a lot of people tend to fry a lot of the food, which is rather unhealthy, and other people eat a lot of the supermarket, ready packaged meals.

I think that is changing though. I, for one, used to be terrible for using pre-packaged food, mainly because that was what I grew up with. I've been making a big effort recently to move right away from that.. today for example, there's a nice casserole simmering away in the oven. :reading:

I do love my comfort food! Mine tends to be of the Mexican variety quite often. Nothing like hot and spicy to warm the cockles of your heart.

Now, dumplings...there's a subject. Here in the south, they are more like a big fat fluffy noodle, but the ones I was taught to make are more like a savory scone dough that is dropped by the spoonful into boiling liquid.

I make very nice dumplings, especially when I make chicken and dumplings. Yum!

Anyone care to share a beef casserole recipe?

This is how I did mine:

Browned off some onions in pan, then added the casserole steak. Once browned, added Worchestire sauce and mixed herbs. Put into a casserole dish with a little oxo (gravy granules) - put on a medium heat for about 4-5 hours. Then added carrots and peas, and dumplings. Cooked for 30 minutes more.

This time I used a yummy packet dumplings mix. When I make them myself, I simply mix self raising flour, suet and water.

• 10 months later...

Well, this year the food certainly didn't disappoint and was, perhaps, better than last year (although slightly similar perhaps!).

We had:

Chilli,

Roast Pork,

Roast Goose,

Game Pie (hare and pheasant),

Roast Chicken,

Home made chicken soup with chunky veg

Amazingly, I've actually managed to lose 3lbs over Christmas - miracle!