Terry Pratchett - The Dark Side of the Sun.

Maureen

A Sci - Fi novel - which I never tried before. The plot is all about "a man" who is heir to a huge fortune, and who lives in a world where death is not always fatal ( :D ), in fact he is always being assassinated, but manages to 're-grow' various parts of his body :Tantrum: over and over again. I believe his original colour was black, but he ended up mostly green (the re-growths), and sun tan makes some parts a different shade of green. He also has a robot servant, a robot horse, a planet as a godfather, and a security chief who even runs checks on himself, amongst other such characters. All of these characters can communicate - even the water - and obviously not always by speech.

I had a huge problem trying to figure out all the characters, races, robots and planets . I also did not get much of the descriptions and puns, but appreciate the author's imaginative capabilities for the ones I did get.

All in all a very different book to what I normally read.

Despite being a huge Pratchett fan, I only ever read this book once & it was years ago - it sat on my shelf ever since till I passed it on. It wasn't, in my opinion, one of his better ones. I didn't think much of Strata either, but neither one is indicative of his Discworld series which is excellent (if you can get past the first couple of books which aren't nearly so good - just my own opinion there, others think they're great). THey get better the further on you get & although some of them stand alone, there's often a back-history for the characters involved which means reading them in somme kind of order can help.

If you wanted to try one of the Discworld novels, you could maybe try Moving Pictures or Going Postal - both are stand-alones & very good. Either one should be enough to whet your appetite & get you interested in seeking out the rest of them!

An excellent one to start with if you fancy reading the Death books (he's one of my fave characters). My 1st one was Reaper Man, but I loved it so much I backtracked & ended up collecting them all (they have pride of place on my shelf - mostly hardbacks & many of them are signed).

• 3 years later...