Audiobooks?

Michelle

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of Stephen King books to download onto my zen, so I will let you know how they are.

My dad is a big fan of audio books, he loves Dick Francis books.

:D

Kell said...

I hope you enjoy it, PP. It's only about 1/2 an hour long that one, but it's punchy & Burn reads it well.

I listened to The Debt today and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was good and mostly well written, although they were one or two parts where I felt the author had rushed it abit, as the language was too simple. It was as if he hadn't tried to think of interesting words. But these were very small instances, and hardly noticable as the reading itself was so good...brilliant in fact. I really enjoyed Burns reading which was very professional and created just the right atmoshere.

Looking forward to downloading the others

PP

I started trying to listen to Northern Lights by Philip Pullman yesterday. I had high expectations as it said on the front it was read by Pullman himself. What it didn't advertise was that each character had a narrator of it's own for dialogue. I only got as far as hearing Lyra and Pantalaimon and realised there was no way I could sit through 11 hours of it....

I'm really disappointed! ;)

I started trying to listen to Northern Lights by Philip Pullman yesterday. I had high expectations as it said on the front it was read by Pullman himself. What it didn't advertise was that each character had a narrator of it's own for dialogue. I only got as far as hearing Lyra and Pantalaimon and realised there was no way I could sit through 11 hours of it....

I'm really disappointed! ;)

Oh that is a shame........I hope that won't put you off listening to other books though. Nearly all the audio books I've had have only the one narrator.

Carole

:D

Hi Carole - I'm sure it won't! I regularly read audio in the car - I love my Jasper Ffordes, and am working my way through the Harry Potter series - Stephen Fry is wonderful!

I'm just annoyed that I'm going to have to re-read His Dark Materials in book format now before the film comes out in December!

I listened to The Debt today and thoroughly enjoyed it. ... I really enjoyed Burns reading which was very professional and created just the right atmoshere.

PP

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the other 3 on offer there too. ;)

That answers the question higher up about what happens if you don't like the reader(s).

That's a real shame. Hopefully there might be another recording, if not now, in the future.

In Saturday's Guardian, Sue Arnold reviewed Claire Tomalin's Thomas Hardy biography. She also had a problem with inappropiate readers:

David Shaw-Parker reads the poetic extracts, though they're so short I'm not sure why they bothered. Whenever he chipped in it reminded me of queuing at the post office when that disembodied voice says, "cashier number seven please".

;):D :mrgreen:

I listen to a lot of audio books, I usually check them out from the library and listen while I work around the house. I have to like the reader, a monotone reader will put me asleep, the whole story just blurs and becomes background noise.

itunes has audio books, I've not ordered any yet but I like to listen to the preview to see if I like the reader or not before I check it out at the library.

I remember liking the Life of Pi, A Short History of Nearly Everything & Memoirs of a Geisha but these were also books I'd already read and liked.

I'm not an audio book fan. I like the visual and tactile acts of holding a book and reading it in my head. I get easily lost when someone reads to me. I just cannot process all that verbal information. Then I shut down and nod off. ;)

Once I was ill and bed bound. My daughter very thoughtfully tried to keep my spirits up by reading aloud from my current book. I was asleep by paragraph two! Poor child.

Having said this, I am sometimes rather partial to the reads on Radio 4.

Short bursts see.

• 2 months later...

I get most of mine from Librivox as they're all in the public domain and, as they're read by regular punters, they're free. It's also a good way for me to up my classics intake.

There are "naughty" places to get them too, but it shouldn't really be said out loud on a public forum - I don't want to get Michelle into trouble... :D

You can often pick up audio books very cheaply in second hand or discount books shops - The Works often have a mixed selection - and, of course, libraries tend to have a pretty good selection too, if you're on a tight budget - I think some libraries might charge a small fee (or is that just for music CDs?), but I believe most of them are free.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone into audiobooks at all? The reason I ask is that on a car ride up north my buddy was listening to 1984 on his Ipod. I decided it would be fun to read again and figured I could play it on my Ipod when I was laying down to go to sleep. What I found is that I fall asleep right away when I put it on but I certainly don't stop enjoying it. I end up having crazy dreams about the thought police and whatnot. My girlfriend has also told me that in the middle of the night Ive been known to say crazy things in my sleep. Its kind of like a choose your own adventure book.:) The book gets me started then I fall asleep and go from there. Just wondering if I was crazy of if anyone else had tried this with any of their favorite books. If not I recommend it.

DP