Peter Pan by J M Barrie

Janet

Peter Pan by J M Barrie

009-2008-Mar-27-PeterPan.jpg

The ‘Blurb’

The night that Peter Pan flies into the Darling children's nursery is the night that magic flies into their lives. It's the night that Wendy and her brothers follow Peter out of the window and soar through the sky to Neverland. It's the night that they discover a world of mermaids, fairies, and pirates, of lost boys, and of the terrible Captain Hook. It's the night the adventure begins...

Peter Pan is one of the best-loved stories ever written for children. For more than one hundred years this unforgettable tale has enchanted readers of all ages.

Step into Neverland with this magical, timeless classic.

I don’t know how I managed to get through my childhood without ever reading Peter Pan, although I was rather addicted to Enid Blyton books so that’s probably why! I have, of course, seen the Disney film and I remember my Mum waking me up (on a school night!) to come down and watch a Danny Kaye/Mia Farrow version of it on the TV!

I was very interested to learn a few years ago that Geraldine McCaughrean had been commissioned by Great Ormond Street to write a sequel and thought I’d like to read it, so I thought I’d better read the original story first! I was lucky enough to find a boxed set in WHS for £2.99 just after Christmas!

Peter Pan did not disappoint. Beautifully written prose and quite amusing in places, not least the public school educated Hook who still has a penchant for ‘good form’! It has survived time quite well in that it doesn’t feel too old-fashioned and I am looking forward to reading Peter Pan in Scarlet soon!

The paperback is 218 pages long and is published by Oxford University Press. The ISBN number is 978-192727480.

7/10

(Read March 2008)

I read this last year for the first time and loved it as well. I hadn't even seen the Disney version then - I watched it after I read the book. All I knew of the story was what I had picked up in Hook. :lol:

I'm undecided as to whether I want to read the sequel. I have a thing about sequels written by other people. I'll wait to see what you think of it. :friends0:

• 11 months later...

Synopsis:

It was Friday night. Mr and Mrs Darling were dining out. Nana had been tied up in the backyard. The poor dog was barking, for she could smell danger. And she was right - this was the night that Peter Pan would take the Darling children on the most breath-taking adventure of their lives, to a place called Neverland, a strange country where the lost boys live and never grow up, a land with mermaids, fairies and pirates - and of course the terrible, evil, Captain Hook. Peter Pan is undoubtedly one of the most famous and best-loved stories for children, an unforgettable, magical fantasy which has been enjoyed by generations.

This book started off with much promise. We meet Peter Pan, the boy who never grows up and his companion, the moody fairy, Tinkerbell. After coming to the Darling's nursery and taking Wendy, John and Michael, we are taken into the magical world of Neverland, with the Redskins, the Never Bird, pirates, including Captain Hook and Mermaids. There is deceit, fun, love, adventure and battles.

This book didn't quite live up to my expectations however. This maybe because I am very familiar with the Disney version; yet Pan was arrogant, and not very likable, and Tinkerbell wasn't friendly either. There were wars, and actually several deaths, which surprised me as this is a children's book.

Barrie's writing was a novelty at first. He writes like we are there with him watching the events unfold. He communicates like we are having a conversation with him about what we are watching. However, by the end of the book I was a bit annoyed by this.

The fairy tale wore off as I was reading too, and by the last 60 pages I was just wanting to finish the book. I had high expectations for this book, and sadly they were not met.

6/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...