Favourite book covers

Janet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-7998-0-97929200-1306758109_thumb.jpg

Memoirs Of A Geisha has a very stunning cover, when I first saw it, it drew me towards to book, I know you shouldn't judge a book by the cover but after I read the description on the back I had to buy it, and I don't regret spending a penny :)

post-7998-0-80060100-1306758108_thumb.jpg

I've always loved the cover of this book, it's so beautiful and mythical, it's covers like these that feed me inspiration for artwork :)

• 1 year later...

I thought of this one straight away:

malazan-book-fallen-book-8-toll-hounds_3366_500_zps9318da7c.jpg

I'd never heard of the series or the author until I saw that one in Waterstones.  I nearly bought it there and then but, for once, had the sense to go home and google it first, and found out it was the eighth book in the series.  So you could say it didn't just make me want to read this particular book, but all the preceding ones as well  :giggle2:

My favourite book covers are largely from the Folio Society.  Of these, I think my most favourite are the covers for Mistress Masham's Repose, and any one of those used for a set of Charles Dickens publised a few years ago. Samples below (the Dickens is the front cover for Bleak House):

post-5780-0-07668500-1362505490_thumb.jpg

post-5780-0-19500700-1362505467_thumb.jpg

Edited by willoyd

This is really tough! I'm not sure I could choose even a few, I have so many pretty covers! I've never really thought about picking my favourites, though I do enjoy individual book covers, especially in the case of a series when they are all the same (same size and same type of illustration etc.). I like most of my books' covers, though some don't match ie. other books by the author or the rest of the books in the series. To me what's also important is the font on the cover. I really prefer some fonts over others (and yes, the font inside the book is important too, of course!).

Most of my books are paperbacks, the prettiest hardcovers I have are the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini:

(note that mine are not in a box! They are bought seperately, I saw the first two really cheap so naturally I then had to have the other two in the same format.)

Picture of the Inheritance box

Of special note:

- My Wordsworth collection (for a picture see here for a picture)

In terms of science-fiction books, Peter F. Hamilton's covers are quite nice (though some books are different sizes ><) ie. The Night's Dawn trilogy. I can't find an image of all three of the books with the covers I have, so instead: (book 1, book 2 and book 3).

For fantasy, there are so many great covers. I'm looking at my shelves, and it's really tough!

One of my favourites are the Discworld covers, the old ones that is, with illustrations by Josh Kirby (I think?). An example can be found here.

For contemporary fiction and chick-lit, I'm not sure I could choose. Many of them have very pretty covers.

What I like in general, is pretty colours and illustrations (or photos).

Oef, that was difficult! I find it hard to seperate the cover and what's inside the book. Automatically if I really like the book, I like its cover better than books I didn't like (I don't own many books I didn't like, but still).

I might add more later, when I've had a better look around my room.

Edited by Athena

In terms of science-fiction books, Peter F. Hamilton's covers are quite nice (though some books are different sizes ><) ie. The Night's Dawn trilogy. I can't find an image of all three of the books with the covers I have, so instead: (book 1, book 2 and book 3).

Oh yes, those are great :smile:

Here's another one of my faves.  I like, and own, both versions of this:

post-6588-0-33347700-1362048374_thumb.jpg

When they re-issued GGK's books here, with a series of covers similar to the one above, I couldn't bring myself to part with the edition I already had, below, because the font inside the book matches the atmosphere of the story almost perfectly :smile:

post-6588-0-35846700-1362048591_thumb.jpg

I've always loved the cover of the copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay that I owned once upon a time:

kandc.jpg

I also love this edition:

039189-FC222.jpg

If I had to choose between those copies, I don't know how I could...

And as simple as it is, I love this edition of Opposite of Faith by Amy Tan.

x4833.jpg

Slightly diverting - but how do you get the images into your post like that please shelley/frankie? I only seem to be able to get thumbnail attachments (as in my post earlier), which then don't always load sufficiently quickly.

Slightly diverting - but how do you get the images into your post like that please shelley/frankie? I only seem to be able to get thumbnail attachments (as in my post earlier), which then don't always load sufficiently quickly.

Hm I am not sure why you didn't manage the same way I did. If I wanted to add a pic, I would either

a) try and find a URL link with the picture only, and I would use the 'Link' icon for that, or

b) I would go to 'more reply options', where you could browse files from your own computer, select the picture you want to add, and add that to the post.

I don't know if that helps...?

Hm I am not sure why you didn't manage the same way I did. If I wanted to add a pic, I would either

a) try and find a URL link with the picture only, and I would use the 'Link' icon for that, or

b) I would go to 'more reply options', where you could browse files from your own computer, select the picture you want to add, and add that to the post.

I don't know if that helps...?

Linking to a URL wasn't really viable as I was trying to include a photo off my hard drive, and when I tried (b) it kept telling me that there the image extensions weren't acceptable. (It was a fairly standard jpeg file). I was trying to copy and paste.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...