Katie Price up for book award- what do you think?

To my mind, if a book is hostwritten, then it should be the person who wrote it that gets the award (if it wins) - not the minor-league celebrity whose name got put on the cover to garner more sales.

Doesn't it depend on what is ghost written , or how it was ghost written? If Katie came up with the ideas and wrote a story, and someone else came in and tidied it up, then perhaps it's not so bad, but then it should still be listed as a collaboration. Either way, I doubt this book is in the same league as Phillip Pulman or Raymond Briggs.

Pp

First, it's a book about ponies.

Second, what kind of an idiot would take advice from a professional model who writes books about ponies?I work with these people, trust me, models are not someone who is in any position to give others advice.

Third, does anyone even own a pony?

Fourth, it's a book about ponies! ;)

If lots of little girls love Katie Price it makes me despair for the future of this country. We're raising tits-obsessed Big Brother contestants. Deep joy.

You clearly didn't meet many of todays youth, prospero...

"This guy was like totally checking me out, and I was like no way guy, I'm like totally out of your league and then this other guy and then like if I laugh to hard my head will fell off..."

No, I am not exaggerating, this is how they talk, only imagine grammar that has a z after every word, I don't know wth is that about.

I did indeed write about this on the other thread. As an author who as worked damned hard to get where she is with even a meagre amount of success, I won't deign to say that I really think though, as if I did I would doubtless end up being banned !

I have written about it my m blogsite though - which some of you may like to look at

http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/

If lots of little girls love Katie Price it makes me despair for the future of this country. We're raising tits-obsessed Big Brother contestants. Deep joy.

Um, maybe not Big Brother contestants but, you know, the other part of that, well, er, about 48% of the population have been raised that way since, well, a very long time ago indeed. *cough*

Guest Sedgewick
It is a books prize, so the actual author should get it.
No. If it's a book prize, the book gets the prize. (Although the author still gets all the recognition.) If it's an author prize, like the Nobel, the author gets it. But prizes should be about the author and not the book. The focus of this competition is the book and therefore it shouldn't matter who wrote it as it's the book's name that will be tied to the award. Either way, it's not as if it's an important award.

Yes but your average member of the public doesn't stop to think whether it's the book or the author being awarded a prize.

At the end of the day, I think having a ghost writer is completely unfair - at the very least, if she's had some input, then both authors should be mentioned.

Guest Sedgewick
Yes but your average member of the public doesn't stop to think whether it's the book or the author being awarded a prize.
The average member of the public is an irrelevance to the prize. They don't have a say.
At the end of the day, I think having a ghost writer is completely unfair - at the very least, if she's had some input, then both authors should be mentioned.
That, then, would defeat the purpose of a ghostwriter. It would be a collaborator. But it's still the book that gets its name engraved on history: not the writer. In this case anyway.

The average member of the public is an irrelevance to the prize. They don't have a say.

No, they don't have a say in the award, but they do see 'prize winner' on future editions.

That, then, would defeat the purpose of a ghostwriter.

Is that such a bad thing? I was trying to say that I don't agree with the concept of ghostwriters.