Dystopia

I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere with some good suggestions...

Anyway, I recommend This Perfect Day by Ira Levin. The Messenger by Lois Lowry is a kid's book, but it's also very good. :blush:

We recently had a discussion on dystopian titles which can be found here. There's also a good list on Wikipedia, although some of the inclusions are debateable.

In addition to the other recommendations, I would highly recommend Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Animal Farm by George Orwell.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah definitely give 'A Handmaid's Tale' a read, that's a good one. Some good dystopian films are 'V for Vendetta', 'The Island' and 'Logan's Run'. There's also a book by Stephen King under the pseudonym Richard Bachman called 'The Long Walk' which sounds pretty good :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Great thread, I am a big fan of these books too. It started in school many years ago with a book about a plague/disease wiping out the population but I cannot remember what it was!

Could be 'Empty World' by John Christopher.

There is an interesting pair of SF novels by John Brunner called 'Stand on Zanzibar' and 'The Sheep Look Up'. I don't know if either is still in print, but they are both set a few years into two very different but still dystopian futures.