More than one at once?

Michelle

Do you read one book at a time, or do you often have more than that on the go? I always used to do the former, but now often find I start one book, and my attention gets grabbed by another, so I sometimes end up reading two or more at the same time.. often depending on my mood.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Like Louise I usually have two or three on the go and pick up to suit the mood and how long I'm likely to be waiting around. Weight of books when in transit is an important consideration, at present I'm juggling a rucksack; two crutches; a plaster cast and an arm wound. I tend to keep any hardbacks for indoors and try to limit the thickness of paperbacks when on the move to around 300 pages tops.

I usually only have one fiction book on the go at any time, but I do swop about with non-fiction. I quite often have 2 which I am reading for the first time, plus a third which I read regularly (usually "Everyday Zen" by Charlotte Joko Beck).

If I have more than 2 first-timers, it's usually a sign that I'm giving up on at least one of them. It's a bad habit, but I hate leaving books unfinished. I'm trying to develop the art of shutting them and putting them back on the shelf or - harder still - taking them back to the library, unread.

I have more than one on the go all the time. I reread old favourites whenever I have nothing else, then if I get something new, I will read that, then go back to the old book. Or sometimes I have two different genres on the go - I won't read horror at night (I'm a wimp!) so I will have a bedtime book as well.

Debbie

• 2 months later...

I used to have anything up to half a dozenon the go at once & would have them deposited all over the place so I'd never be too far from a book. Lately, though, I've been doing the one-book-at-a-time thing as I work my way through my list. I'm not sure why other than I find it easier to write aw review if I'm only concentrating on one book. That said, I often start the next book while I'm mulling that last one over to work on the review, so i suppose that defeats the purpose really - LOL!

I think that if I ever get to the end of my "to read" list, I may well go back to more than one on the go at a time, but I'll be honest & admit that i usually do that with books I've read before, so they don't require my full attention as I already know what happens.

Usually I just read one at a time, but a couple of months ago I had a couple of boxfuls of books to give to the RSPCA, and when I carried out the books I dropped one in my van. Obviously I am not going back to the RSPCA with a book so I left it in the van gathering dust.......till I had to wait in the van to pick up my son from school. So now I read a few pages of that book whenever I am waiting. I am almost at the end too!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm very tempted to start reading a 2nd book as I'm really not enjoying The Lovely Bones very much. I'm finding myself feeling angry & out of sorts while I'm reading it & I think that's dedtracting from the pleasure of reading. I don't know whether I should just give it up or continue i nthe hopes that it improves. If I'm continuing, does it warant my full attention? Am all undecided all of a sudden!

One at a time only.

Certain books evoke certain moods in me as I'm reading them. I have trouble switching over from one mood to another when it comes to books, especially if one of the books is serious or somber and the other is more light and comedic. Reading two books at once usually requires an emotional or mental shift I don't usually feel capable of making.

Well, I'm very tempted to start reading a 2nd book as I'm really not enjoying The Lovely Bones very much. I'm finding myself feeling angry & out of sorts while I'm reading it & I think that's dedtracting from the pleasure of reading.

Which parts or character(s) are angering you?

The main character is bugging me a lot & I got angry right at the start when she managed to stupidly get herself into such a dangerous position in the first place. I think I would have much preferred it if she were stalked & attacked without her adding to her own downfall in the first few pages. I was raging at what an idiot she was being. I mean, yes, it was the 70's, a slightly more innocent time, but at no time in my life, even when very small, could I ever have been enticed into an underground bunker with a man like that.

I'm easing off a little now I'm getting into it a bit, but I'll admit the Heaven scenes are kind of off-putting to me too, so I'm tending to gloss over them just a little bit so I can get back to the actual story.

I've decided to continue & finish it, but Im' a little frustrated as I so wanted to enjoy this book & it's just not what I was expecting at all.

The main character is bugging me a lot & I got angry right at the start when she managed to stupidly get herself into such a dangerous position in the first place. I think I would have much preferred it if she were stalked & attacked without her adding to her own downfall in the first few pages. I was raging at what an idiot she was being. I mean, yes, it was the 70's, a slightly more innocent time, but at no time in my life, even when very small, could I ever have been enticed into an underground bunker with a man like that.

I'm easing off a little now I'm getting into it a bit, but I'll admit the Heaven scenes are kind of off-putting to me too, so I'm tending to gloss over them just a little bit so I can get back to the actual story.

I've decided to continue & finish it, but Im' a little frustrated as I so wanted to enjoy this book & it's just not what I was expecting at all.

Interesting. I liked the little girl's descriptions of heaven, although I have to say I wasn't sure about them at first either. But something about her picture of heaven grew on me.

I'm more like you and couldn't see myself lured into a situation with a man like this either, but thousands of children in the U.S. are abducted or lured into dangerous situations each year by seemingly innocuous adults; so ultimately, I could buy the scenario without any problem.

However, I was frustrated and aggravated by certain characters as well, particularly as the story went on. Since you're still reading it, I won't say anything else. But I do understand where you're coming from. Totally.

A bit of both - I get 2 x 20 minute breaks & a lunch hour every day & the entire time is spent reading while I have my cuppa or lunch. Then when I'm making dinner, i tend to make something that gets stuck in the oven & so I grab maybe 30 minutes or so reading while it cooks (I'm not much of a TV person). I read in the bath every night (that's another hour of "me time") & on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday nights, Dale hosts an online game from 6pm till 10pm, so that's 4 hours straight where I don't have to feel guilty for neglecting him.

So, on average, I get 3hrs 10 minutes every day for reading, plus 3 times a week, I get up to an extra 3 hours (I count the bath hour in the four), so that gives me a good 6 hours on those days.

Take out maybe an hour or so for online stuff, that still gives me a lot of book time.

And I love it that way! :D

I don't tend to get quite so much reading done on the weekends, as I'm usually running round trying to get grocery shopping done & meeting buddies for coffee, or doing all the housework I've neglected through the week - LOL!

• 1 year later...