Shane's Reading List and Log for 2008-2009

Child.of.God.1989

This will be pitifully short since I need to do homework. I hope to find some people who have read these or who these authors may strike a chord with!

I am currently reading the Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, and White) by Christian suspense author Ted Dekker. I am in the second chapter of White and read it at every opportunity! As you will see by the review excerpts on the books, non-Christian lovers of thrillers like these books, too, like the producer of Xmen-2.

I read a little of Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti last month before I had to turn it in. It's a thick book, so I jumped the ship rather than renewing it three times to no avail. It started a little slowly, and some things seem to be used a lot in suspense books today, but I am confident it will grow in exciting turns of events.

I want to find out what happens to Fanny Price in Mansfield Park so badly! It's always checked out in the local library. Not whining, just saying I'm going to continue it:).

• 9 months later...

Nine months and two days?! Tsk, tsk. I'll start with what I have read, and then what I'm working on. I need to look at my goals from last year; I probably have some really good ones that I lazily am missing out on!

What I Have Read since February:

February

March

April

May

- started Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy in May, am currently in the second volume I think

June - August

- Showdown by Ted Dekker

- Saint by Ted Dekker

- Skin by Ted Dekker

- Chosen by Ted Dekker

- continuing Anna Karenina on and off...

- From Hope to Higher Ground by Mike Huckabee

- Got a little further in <I>Heroines

Edited by Child.of.God.1989

• 3 weeks later...

Balancing school, work, "procrastinatory" habits:motz:, and youth group has made life so busy! Christmas break will be wonderful to read more books, more thoroughly. Here are some I'm going to look for or pull off my shelf. I will probably edit this after browsing our posts for recommendations, particulary the ones I said I would take.:)

- Dispensationalism - Charles C. Ryrie

248 pgs., non-fiction

- Running the Race by R.C. Sproul

96 pgs., non-fiction addressed to graduates (yikes, that was June 2007 I received this small book!)

- Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

817 pgs., Russian classic novel%

Edited by Child.of.God.1989

Okay, so the last post consisted of books I would like to read some day. Here are the ones I'm working through now:

- Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

I'm on the last 80 pages or so, and

I really really don't want Fanny to marry Crawford! I want her to reveal her love for Edmund!

- The Peacemaker by Ken Sande for school

297 pages, "a biblical guide to resolving personal conflicts" - really challenging and heartwarming at times!

- The Acts of the Apostles by Charles C. Ryrie for school

127 pages, short commentary with lots of background on the Bible book

- Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury

331 pages, contemporary fiction

- I Corinthians by the apostle Paul for school

- Acts by the apostle/physician Luke for school

The only one I've finished recently was The Shack by William Young. The first half was very touching, and a particular scene near the end. However, Mr. Young's understanding of God's person and work has some subtle issues that raise red flags. All in all, though, he is a skilled writer:D, and does say some things about God and suffering that people tend to forget. You should certainly take a few days to read it if you're pretty grounded in what you believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Upon my arrival home from Bible school, my area of the northwest has been beset with snow. Since my books on hold at the library are probably going to be put back before I can get there... three miles away!... I will just work on Quo Vadis and The Pilgrim's Progress. Aww, I really wanted to read The BFG by Roald Dahl with my young nephew! Well, c'est la vie.:lol:

Ooh, I just read in the local paper that a sequel was written and approved by France for Les Miserables. I love love love that story, so I will have to look up what happenes to Cosette and Jean Valjean afterwards.

You poor holiday traveler, Landevale! You probably already know it, but I swear we hardly get more than four inches of snow altogether, at least not west of the Cascades. I hope you have a good variety of stories at your disposal. So far Quo Vadis is going swimmingly. I thought I was going to have a short attention span and have to scrounge around for a more modern read, but this romantic story of ancient Rome relates so much to what I learned in my I Corinthians class.

Have a safe trip home, whenever the airlines open up again!

Thanks! :) I hope you have a safe trip back home too! And hopefully you've been able to make it out to the library now that things have calmed down a bit. I know I would have gone stir-crazy if I hadn't been able to get to the bookstore yesterday.

Hope you're still enjoying Quo Vadis. I just looked it up, and it sounds interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

A late but well-deserved "thank you" for your interest and well-wishing, Landevale!:D Your kind words were good motivation to get through the cumbersome introduction to Quo Vadis. I just know Lygia's going to be a shining character...

...But I let myself become distracted once again! Whoops. I checked out Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot, The Complete Jane Austen Novels, and A Thousand Splended Suns by Khaled Hosseini. My mom is recovering from surgery, so I decided to pick up some books for myself along with movies for us to watch together.:lol: Of course Queen of Babble's fast-paced style won out my tiny attention span for what to finish first.

Yes, I just finished Suns on Friday night when I was supposed to be packing for school! Thanks for asking, Janet. It was impossible to get through some parts without letting an indignant grunt at how much Mariam and Laila have to endure! That was what was so good about it, how Mr. Hosseini conveyed the bitter loss in Afghanistan, and the grimly monotonous way of life after you picked yourself up from those losses. It was so personal and emotionally sweeping without being sappy or melodramatic. One reads it just knowing it has to get better at some point, and just absorbing the culture so different on the surface from America's. But hey, as one of my teachers says, we're all made of the same cookie dough. It isn't just a certain ethnicity or religion that makes one able to commit certain inhumane acts. Everyone's capable of it.

Mm, I might just ask Michelle about changing my thread's name to 2008-2009 since I didn't post much for 2008. Thanks for reminding me to check on what everyone's new-year reading goals are.

I'm sitting at my desk, all settled in for a new semester of Bible school. My schedule seems pretty loaded even if there wasn't a lot of homework, so I may select just one day of the week I browse the forum. I dunno, maybe I won't be able to keep away and it will be my unwinding vehicle!:P

Mm, I might just ask Michelle about changing my thread's name to 2008-2009 since I didn't post much for 2008. Thanks for reminding me to check on what everyone's new-year reading goals are.

I've done it for you. :P

Do try to come back - even if it's not often. Everyone deserves a break from work. ;)

Thank you for the title-change and for the encouragement, Janet! :) You're a great example of how welcoming and amiable everyone is here.

Well, I just accomplished a good chunk of homework, so I'll show what my reading list looks like.

I'm going to read for fun once a week, every Saturday afternoon. First I will finish Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, which is going pretty smoothly. It's a nice filler book for while I was on the plane on Saturday. My older sister also lent me New Moon, so either I'll start that next or pick up on the second part of Anna Karenina. Ha, both my for-fun books are for camaraderie with close family members! Anna Karenina is a recommendation from my brilliant younger cousin. She's studying journalism currently.

I don't think any of the textbooks I have for school this semester are very famous, so I'll just mention them if there's a really great piece of wisdom in there or something. However, we are studying II Corinthians, Romans, and I Peter in-depth right now. I can't wait to have the small elective class where I get to learn about early Christians; I don't know much of what it was like during and after Nero, and Gnosticism and all that.

I love to read while I eat, and since there aren't too many people in the dining hall at breakfast, I will read a devotional sort of book each morning. I think I'll pick Sister Freaks by Rebecca St. James or have a peek in the school library tonight, maybe for something by C.S. Lewis.

• 2 weeks later...

Books I checked out from the library today:

Emma volumes 1 and 2 ~ Kaoru Mori

the first one is SO sweet and beautifully drawn so far!

Queen of Babble: In the Big City ~ Meg Cabot

The Old Man and the Sea ~ Ernest Hemingway

Mort ~ Terry Pratchett

Mansfield Park ~ Jane Austen

The Kite Runner ~ Khaled Hosseini

The Man Who Was Thursday ~ Gilbert Keith Chesterton