Most memorable first lines

Gelfling

What are your favourite first lines from the books you've read? The lines that really send a shiver down your spine before you're sucked into the pages?

This is one of my favourites:

"In eighteenth-century France there lived a man who was one of the most gifted and abominable personages in an era that knew no lack of gifted and abominable personages." - Perfume

The opening line to Rebecca is wonderful too, but I'll leave that for someone else :readingtwo:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite ever quote actually comes from a book I thought to be rubbish by an author I can't stand:

"What is Normal? Normal is only ordinary, mediocre. Life belongs to the rare,exceptinal individual who dares to be different."

- My Sweet Audrina by Virginia Andrews

It's a line spoken by Audrina's father when Audrina is upset at being "different" when all she wants is to be "normal". It helped me a lot in my school years when I was most definitely considered different.Nowadays, of course, I revel in being unique, but when you're young, it hurts not to be part of the crowd, so it really struck a chord with me.

From Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne Elliot in Jane Austen's Persuasion:

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such specious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it..."

Last night i dreamt i went to manderley again.

Daphne Du Maurier - Rebecca

I remember it as my mum told me it before i read the boook for some bizarre reason. In fact it is one of our fav books

The same with my mum and grandma. For some reason, everyone remembers the opening line to Rebecca. It is certainly very haunting. I loved the subtle way that Rebecca's true nature was revealed to the reader.

Mrs Danvers certainly gets my vote for the evilest woman in literature (though the headmistress from "A Clergyman's Daughter," and Umbridge from Harry Potter are close runners up)

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

I also love the first sentence of Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, which begins "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" (I won't post the whole quote because it goes on for quite a bit!)

And although this is a thread for first lines, I just can't help posting the best ever last line of a book, again from Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. I don't think I have ever been so moved by a line in a book. I was bawling :lol:

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

My favourite ever quote actually comes from a book I thought to be rubbish by an author I can't stand:

"What is Normal? Normal is only ordinary, mediocre. Life belongs to the rare,exceptinal individual who dares to be different."

- My Sweet Audrina by Virginia Andrews

It's a line spoken by Audrina's father when Audrina is upset at being "different" when all she wants is to be "normal". It helped me a lot in my school years when I was most definitely considered different.Nowadays, of course, I revel in being unique, but when you're young, it hurts not to be part of the crowd, so it really struck a chord with me.

Actually, I love being a freak. Freaks rock!!!:lol::D

I have 2 favourites I can think of straight off. They are both from The Gift by Alison Croggon (quel surprise, non?)

"Freedom was a fantasy she gnawed obsessively in her few moments of leisure, like an old bone with just a trace of meat; and like all illusions, it left her hungrier than before, only more keenly aware of how her soul starved within her, its wings wasting with the dispair of disuse."

It's gotta be the longest sentence ever XD I love it, though.

The other - slightly less depressing

"She had thought hope was dead inside her, but now she realized that it merely slumbered, like ash-grey embers which yet held a glowing heart, which the merest breath might fan into flame."

It's little gems like this that make the Pellinor books stop being fantastic and start being unforgettable :roll::D

• 1 year later...

Once upon a time there was a humdrum story...

There is a better kind of start for a book. But it's not easy for writters to find the perfect fit for a first catch.

What are the best hooking first lines ever written ?

Here are my favourite 5

- "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"

Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

- "Today, mama died. Or maybe yesterday, I don't know".

Camus, The stranger

- "In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven

Austen's Pride and Prejudice has a fantastic first line, and it was that line, with all of its wit which founded and propelled my addiction to Austen:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

I can think of no other books in all my reading that have captured me with the first sentence. P&P is the exception.

I also love the first sentence of Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, which begins "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" (I won't post the whole quote because it goes on for quite a bit!)

And although this is a thread for first lines, I just can't help posting the best ever last line of a book, again from Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. I don't think I have ever been so moved by a line in a book. I was bawling :D

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

I know what film you've been watching!

I've always thought:

"Call me Ishmael." (Moby Dick, by Herman Melville)

Was a good first line, but I think my favourite is:

"When a day that you happen to know is a Wednesday starts off by sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere" (Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham).

I know what film you've been watching!

:D It's sad to admit, but I haven't seen the movie yet. I taped it once, but it was very poor quality. I still have it around on VHS somewhere. Maybe it will be repeated on TV soon. I did catch a glimpse of the ending though. <sigh>

More than just one line, but one of the most beautiful and memorable openers for me is from Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov:

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth, Lo. Lee.Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly in school. She was Dolores on the dottedline. But in my arms she was always Lolita.

:) It's sad to admit, but I haven't seen the movie yet. I taped it once, but it was very poor quality. I still have it around on VHS somewhere. Maybe it will be repeated on TV soon. I did catch a glimpse of the ending though. <sigh>

That wasn't the film I was thinking of.

I'm probably being a bit too random (and nerdy!) but both of those lines from A Tale of Two Cities were prominantly quoted in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

'If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of ****, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.'

The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger

I love this line!