BCF Book Club 2024 - Part 2

Hayley

April is nearly here! Which means we need to make a speedy decision about our next group read theme.

Please post your suggestions in the comments below!

I am going to suggest the runner-up from our last group read - Folklore and Mythology.

As always, those joining in can read any book which connects to the theme! For this one, maybe you could read some classic mythology, a modern twist on something (like Pandora, Medusa or Circe), a fantasy book featuring folkloric creatures, or a book with ‘myth’ in the title - like Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Anderson 😄

I have started : Witchcraft and Witchraft Trials in Orkney and Shetland (I had family in Orkney when I was growing up who never mentionied this!), I don't know if that counts as folklore and mythology but it's only 96 pages long so I'm reading it anyway, and Celtic Mythology, which is helping with the Tuatha De Danaan, mentioned in Shauna Lawless's Gael series set in Ireland in the first millenium. 

On 4/4/2024 at 9:17 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Witchcraft and Witchraft Trials in Orkney and Shetland (I had family in Orkney when I was growing up who never mentionied this!)

That sounds interesting! I don’t know anything about those either but always found witch belief and persecution really interesting. I do think witch-related things count as folklore too 😄

I haven’t started my first challenge read yet (I’m aiming to finish a book my sister lent to me, but finding it hard to get past the first bit! I may potentially give up on it, but I know there’s a something in it later which should appeal to me more!). When I do start this one, I think I’m going to go for Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees or Fearsome Fairies: Haunting Tales of the Fae (one of the British Library collections!). 

On 4/7/2024 at 10:27 PM, Hayley said:

That sounds interesting! I don’t know anything about those either but always found witch belief and persecution really interesting. I do think witch-related things count as folklore too 😄

I parked that book as it contained old english which was difficult to decipher. I don't mind struggling usually couldn't be bothered a this time. I'll go back to it eventually.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:27 PM, Hayley said:

I haven’t started my first challenge read yet (I’m aiming to finish a book my sister lent to me, but finding it hard to get past the first bit! I may potentially give up on it, but I know there’s a something in it later which should appeal to me more!). When I do start this one, I think I’m going to go for Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees or Fearsome Fairies: Haunting Tales of the Fae (one of the British Library collections!). 

I love the British Library series so will look this up.

Currently reading a book my friend recommended ("Read this now!") A Witch in Time, Constance Sayers - so I'm glad that witches are included in this category!

Still trying to decide on mine, possible the current Barbara Erskine book "The Dream Weavers".

I've now decided on my choice, it's "The Mermaid's Call" by Katherine Stansfield.

Edited by Madeleine
  • Like 1

I just wanted to point out that all of the Shauna Lawless Gael Series books fit into this category as does The Hounds of York by Arden Powell - there is a small amount of homosexuality in this should anybody need to know. Having read them before the category opened up I'll be choosing different books.

Thanks to the friend who recommended A Witch in Time by Constance Sayers to me ("read this now!" is how she put it, and I did) and her fascination with vampires I thought that I'd read Salem's Lot by Stephen King for my next read in this category (quickly turning into my favourite so far). Not read King in a while and I remember the film, which looking back on it I was too young to watch, starring David Soul. My best friend at the time wanted to see it because of Soul and I'm pretty sure her parents would not allow her to watch it in their home - in those days there was no video recording or Sky TV, you had to sit and watch as it broadcast - and they were right, it scared the livin' daylights out of the both of us. Which did not stop us watching it again, I'm sure.