BCF Book Club 2024 - Part 1 Completed Reads

58 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I came here to post the same thing, I finished it last night 😄. It really was a brilliant collection, they had some great authors with unique styles and varying degrees of creepiness! Did you have a favourite story @lunababymoonchild?

Very difficult to choose but just by the barest of margins it would be Laura Purcell's Carol of the Bells and Chains. Because Krampus is mentioned. Then again, maybe Jenkin by Catriona Ward. Too many to choose from. I don't think that there's a weak story among them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Laura Purcell's Carol of the Bells and Chains

That was a good one! I kind of wish it was a longer story so 

Spoiler

We could get to a happy ending for the nice child 😅

I really liked Jess Kidd’s contribution (because you know I love Victorian supernatural things). Stuart Taunton’s one felt like a very dark version of A Christmas Carol!

4 hours ago, Hayley said:

That was a good one! I kind of wish it was a longer story so …….

I just wish that it was a longer story too, and ………..

I really liked Jess Kidd’s contribution (because you know I love Victorian supernatural things). 

Me too

Stuart Taunton’s one felt like a very dark version of A Christmas Carol!

I loved that one too and also wished it was longer but didn't get the Christmas Carol reference.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

On 2/17/2024 at 1:25 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

loved that one too and also wished it was longer but didn't get the Christmas Carol reference.

Sorry, I didn’t explain what I meant properly! It reminded me of A Christmas Carol because 

Spoiler

Something supernatural shows him the future in order to teach him a lesson and make him realise that he wasn’t a very good person! That just reminds me of Scrooge’s journey, only a lot more horrific and with a less happy ending 😅

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Sorry, I didn’t explain what I meant properly! It reminded me of A Christmas Carol because 

Reveal hidden contents

Something supernatural shows him the future in order to teach him a lesson and make him realise that he wasn’t a very good person! That just reminds me of Scrooge’s journey, only a lot more horrific and with a less happy ending 😅

Ah yes, I see. Thank you for explaining 😃

On 2/15/2024 at 7:56 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Just completed The Winter Spirits, absolutely marvellous!

I'm really looking forward to reading this but it's on my Kobo which I lent to someone on my bookgroup so she could read My Sister the Serial Killer. As she's had it for over three weeks now and My Sister is really short I think she must be happily exploring the books I've got on there!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, France said:

I'm really looking forward to reading this but it's on my Kobo which I lent to someone on my bookgroup so she could read My Sister the Serial Killer. As she's had it for over three weeks now and My Sister is really short I think she must be happily exploring the books I've got on there!

Ha, ha, ha, she probably is!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm offering The Warm Hands of Ghosts by Katherine Arden as a read in this category. Part of it is set in winter and one of the characters is called Winter. Does that qualify?

Yes, definitely! 😄

• Like 1