Bookmarks!

Michelle

Ooooh, pretty cornery things! How does one make them, you clever Kell?

If you go to my blog, I've popped a link to the blog where I got the idea. There's a great tutorial on how to make them. :D They don't take long - as little as 5-10 minutes each if you go for very plain. The time is only taken deciding how to decorate them. I used a patterend corner punch to cut the corner off mine so that the corner of the page pokes through, then patterned scissors for different edgings. After that it's a case of stickers and decals. As long as they're flat, they won't damage your pages at all. :irked:

Edited by Kell

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you go to my blog, I've popped a link to the blog where I got the idea. There's a great tutorial on how to make them. :( They don't take long - as little as 5-10 minutes each if you go for very plain. The time is only taken deciding how to decorate them. I used a patterend corner punch to cut the corner off mine so that the corner of the page pokes through, then patterned scissors for different edgings. After that it's a case of stickers and decals. As long as they're flat, they won't damage your pages at all. :D

They are absolutely lovely and I want one, but I don't know, I think I may be too lazy to make them, as I would want more than very plain.

They're really lovely Kell. My favourite is the reddish one. I'm going to check out that tutorial.

Weave, I love your Roald Dahl bookmarks too. It'd be awesome to get one for each book. They'd look really nice with my Roald Dahl books. :(

Weave, I love your Roald Dahl bookmarks too. It'd be awesome to get one for each book. They'd look really nice with my Roald Dahl books. :(

Thanks Kylie :D

I'm a stickler for having to use a bookmark, although I don't have a proper bookmark at the moment. I'm currently using a piece of patterned paper which I've laminated.

Those little corner bookmarks that Kell made look really cute though and are such a brilliant idea. I'm tempted to have a go at making one but they do look as if they might fall off really easily...particularly as I tend to carry my current book around with me in my bag. Sometimes even a standard bookmark falls out in there.

Those are great Kell, i'm going to check out the tutorial & have a go with the kids :(

Great craft project for kids - they can all make their own personalised ones. :D

Those little corner bookmarks that Kell made look really cute though and are such a brilliant idea. I'm tempted to have a go at making one but they do look as if they might fall off really easily...particularly as I tend to carry my current book around with me in my bag. Sometimes even a standard bookmark falls out in there.

So far they haven't fallen out of the books I'm reading. Fair enough I haven't had them in my bag yet, but I did toss one nonchalantly (sp?) on the bed and another on the sofa where Xander promptly picked it up and gave it a good shake. They both stayed in place, so it bodes quite well for bag transportation if that's anything to go by. :lol:

I've got a couple of nice bookmarks now, including one I got from the Leeds University Fair that I went to the other day. How nice of them to offer free bookmarks. :blush:

At university they trained us to be able to not only quote a passage from a book, but also say what page it was ! Therefore my favourite bookmark has been my memory so far.... at least I don't lose my head whenever I go to another room !

Another fun alternative is one thing I found in the US : LastLine Bookmarks !!!! Those little plastic things get trapped in the book, they come in all colours and work like paperclips. They make my books fun and colourful and I don't write in them anymore, I just have to remember what the colours stand for along the pages, and, in addition, it makes people wonder what the hell I wanted to highlight !

I am currently using my two of my Roald Dahl bookmarks (Matilda & The BFG, two of my favourites books by Roald Dahl, I also have 'The Twits', 'James and the Giant Peach' and 'The Enormous Crocodile' :roll:

rdmatilda.jpgrdbfg.jpg

Weave, I love Roald Dahl and your bookmarks are great :lol: . Where did you get them?

They're great aren't they Escargot? Just seeing them makes me want to read the books all over again. When I spent a week or so in London I made a special point of visiting Hyde Park Corner just to see where the BFG stood waiting for Sophie while she visited the Queen. :lol: It was so cool seeing it in context (how far the palace is from the Corner).

They're great aren't they Escargot? Just seeing them makes me want to read the books all over again. When I spent a week or so in London I made a special point of visiting Hyde Park Corner just to see where the BFG stood waiting for Sophie while she visited the Queen. :lol: It was so cool seeing it in context (how far the palace is from the Corner).

I must admit, BFG is still on my wishlist, haven't ordered (and read) it.

I see, i have to make a new amazon order :roll:

http://www.needapresent.com/lib/img/prod/xl/50-books-to-read-before-you-die-bookmark-a.jpg

My new one, managed to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak - a nice list of 50 books I should read before I die, and a lovely bookmark at the same time. Lovely stuff.

That is GORGEOUS! Where did you get it? If I had that one, though, I mught have to frame it instead of using it as a bookmark!

Wow, lots of replies to this one! I don't think I've ever owned a bookmark - except perhaps when I was very young. As a self-employed website designer I get a LOT of business cards from meetings so these tend to make excellent bookmarks. If I don't want to think about work when I pick up a book (which is most of the time) then I find train tickets are very handy too!

I love that bookmark Ben. I saw it in a shop once and really wanted it but it was a little expensive. If I see it again, however, I might not be able to resist. :)

I'm not sure how much it was actually, my grandma got me it when she was in town. It really is beautiful though.

That is GORGEOUS! Where did you get it? If I had that one, though, I mught have to frame it instead of using it as a bookmark!

Waterstones like Giulia said, as far as I'm aware. As for using it as a bookmark, I almost didn't, but of course I'm always careful with my books so it shouldn't come to any damage of any sorts.

• 2 weeks later...