Am I the only one with a fussy family?

Michelle

Honestly.. I'm not the best cook around, and my lot make it even more hard work! Bethany is (and ALWAYS has been) a fussy eater. So is Glen.. and they like different things.

So, for example, take something simple like chicken. Glen and I like griddled chicked breast, but Beth will only eat nuggets (we are working on this one, mind you!); Glen only likes potato things, Beth has gone off these. So.. Glen gets griddled chicken, chips and beans, I have griddled chicken, rice and veggies, and Beth has to have chicken nuggets, rice and veggies. (Amy, bless her, will have a much of anything! lol)

Tonight I'm cooking some mince... Beth and Amy will have it with spagetti, Glen and I will have it made into a shepherd's pie!

Anyone else? Or am I being too soft??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dale's dead finicky too:

He likes beef, pork, chicken & tureky, but not duck, goose, (or any other fowl), lamb, mutton, or game.

He likes liver (so long as it's ox), but no other offal.

He likes potatoes, but not other veg.

He likes processed or mushy peas, but not garden peas.

He likes baked beans, but no other kind (kidney beans are out).

He'll eat vegetable soup - so long as it's been whizzed down smooth.

He hates tomatoes, but likes tomato soup, tomato ketchup & tomato-based pasta sauce (so long as it's smooth).

Basically, he'll only eat things that have had eyes at some point, & even then, it's hit & miss - LOL!

This is just a tiny sample of Dale's eating habits - it's very frustrating at times as I'm always having to cook 2 separate dinners (I can't stomach the bland stuff he likes & he doesn't like spicy foods - LOL!).

Ah. I used to be the fussiest eater in the world. I've got easier going, and I'm sure everyone else is much, much fussier now than I ever was.

You can't be over tolerant. Chicken is chicken, for example. Don't let them get away with only liking nuggets (of all things!), and refusing drumsticks or breast.

And make sure they always eat a small amount of things they claim not to like. A "New taste for the day" experience, say.

Still trying that approach Andy - my daughter Samantha is now much more adventurous. Thomas does not like any meat other than chicken nuggets and the occassional sausage (under duress!!!), although he's only 7 if we push the issue and he takes a mouthful he will qualify for an acting award! Most mums know the scene - cant swallow, take a drink, start to heave..........all accompanied by the usual I'm not hungry now, my dinner bar's full etc. etc. He wants a sausage and yorkies for Xmas dinner.........

Not my favourite subject as you be starting to guess!! :D

cant swallow, take a drink, start to heave..........all accompanied by the usual I'm not hungry

Not my favourite subject as you be starting to guess!! :D

Oh...that makes me feel better....at least I am not the only person going through that!...sorry Angel....but it does!

Keep working on it, Angel. I was always unadventurous and sullen about my food. But the "little bit of... x" every meal eventually brought rewards. There was an age (probably about 18) when it suddenly dawned on me that I just said I didn't like things because that's what I'd decided, but the taste was actually rather good.

The best thing about that was that it made me realise I could learn to like all kinds of other foods through the same method.

The only things that have really failed are cooked egg white, and blueness in cheese.

Thats only the start of it - the basics - I've only just got him onto basic salad, carrots and peas this year. Wont try any other veg, sauces, roast potatoes, mash, etc. Stout no to pizza (no sneaking other stuff there!) As for other things like pies, casseroles, burgers, etc etc forget it!

Main thing is that he is growing, right weight, happy and academically ahead which is all much more important and all I am worried about

As a parent you are under pressure due to all the recent publicity about kids diets .

My Brother and I were very fussy eaters as kids - still are! When I lived with my ex, I wouldn't let him cook because I didn't like his cooking - even basic things like spag bol or a pasta bake - I'd go hungry or call a takeaway if I wasn't up to cooking.

My main problem (as you've discovered in my reading habits) is that I'm not very adventurous (I'm a right pain to take out for dinner - I'll discard 9/10 restaurants without even looking at the menu!). I also only trust my own cooking, my Mum's, or where I can see what's gone in it, but that's an allergy thing as much as a fussy thing.

I'm even fussy about crisps and chocolate! :shock:

Jo xx

I don't mind the pizza, pie and burgers and he is improving, but he will only eat alphabites, and smiles, won't look at any form of potatoes in 'their' original form or meat.

We do heap praise on him when we get another break through - but I do so hate the processed food! Funniest thing tho after following this thread is that he's just eaten his first homemade mincepie (I never buy shop ones). Just shows...........!! Always prove you wrong don't they LOL

• 1 month later...

It is funny, that, isn't it? I couldn't imagine not liking veg, & yet Dale won't touch any of them, He says it's a texture thing more than anything. Me - i love loads of 'em. I'm not a fan of green stuff, like spinach or green beans or cabbage (not even the red stuff - LOL), but I do like lettuce & cucumber (yes, I know that one's a fruit really!). I like a whole rainbow of colours on my plate as often as possible - it makes it more interesting & to be perfectlyhonest, much as I love meat, I tend to go for the veg first if anything gets left, it'll be the meat.

I love veg. There are only a couple that I can think of right now that I will not touch. I tend to prefer them raw, but eat them cooked as well. Today I bought some mushrooms on my way to work, and mid-morning was snacking on them, (I had had a big chunk of cake a bit before). The other girls at the office could not believe that I am actually enjoying the taste. :D