France's reading 2024

I used to read quite a lot of Nicci French but they got a bit samey after a while ie woman in peril, and the police were always useless so she has to do everything for herself, including, naturally, going alone to an empty house/factory etc,so I lost interest in them.

Posted (edited)

Yes, this one had a lot of plot similarities to one I'd read before (the first they wrote I think) and ridiculously  useless police, both in 1990 and 2020.

Edited by France
  • Like 1

I seem to be on a roll with good books at the moment (long may it continue!)

The House of Lamentations by Shona Maclean is the fifth in her series about Cromwell's agent Damien Seeker and is as good as the previous ones. She is so good at imbuing her stories with a sense of place.

Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros is the sequel to Fourth Wing and is very good indeed, the sort of good where you ignore everyone in the room while you get on with the next few chapters. What's not to like about dragons, especially adolescent dragons with attitude? My only criticism is the sex scenes, I may be old and stuffy but my daughters are anything but and they agree, what Violet and Xaden get up to between the sheets does not need to be described in that detail and interrupts the flow of the story which is about dragons , their riders, other magical creatures and battles against evil.

Knife Skills for Beginners by Orlando Murrin  is a cosyish mystery written by a TV chef. It's light, well written, well plotted and great fun, prefect for the shift I was on yesterday which was lots of waiting around interspersed with short bursts of activity. One to look out for and I'll be reading his next one.

• Like 1

I also really liked Iron Flame but I agree with you on the sex scenes as they are way, way, overdone. 

Adding to my comment: The sex scenes were so explicit and overblown that it actually perturbed me during the reading of what is a very good book with wonderful stories in it

Edited by muggle not
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, France said:

I seem to be on a roll with good books at the moment (long may it continue!)

The House of Lamentations by Shona Maclean is the fifth in her series about Cromwell's agent Damien Seeker and is as good as the previous ones. She is so good at imbuing her stories with a sense of place.

I'm just reading the 3rd book "Destroying Angel". I was in a bookshop today and saw her new one, "The Winter List" out in paperback.

12 hours ago, friendofbooks said:

How do you do it? Every time I walk into a bookstore, I feel like buying everything at once!

Living in France helps as there are far fewer bookshops with less choice! When I visit the UK it's a different story though. I could literally barely lift my case for books last time and that was before I'd got airside at Gatwick and a look at the large airport only paperbacks!

On 4/25/2024 at 2:00 AM, France said:

Living in France helps as there are far fewer bookshops with less choice! When I visit the UK it's a different story though. I could literally barely lift my case for books last time and that was before I'd got airside at Gatwick and a look at the large airport only paperbacks!

Oh, I recognize myself in your message I'm glad I'm not the only one.