BCF Book Club 2024 - Part 1

Hayley

33 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Currently reading The Frozen Deep by Wilkie Collins. It's tremendous!

Just read the synopsis on Amazon and is this based on the Terror and Erebus mystery?

On 3/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, Madeleine said:

Just read the synopsis on Amazon and is this based on the Terror and Erebus mystery?

I think it was inspired by it, yeah! 

On 3/4/2024 at 4:32 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I've finished this, it's only 103 pages long. Excellent stuff.

I’m glad you liked it! 

I’ve finished The Winter Garden. I did enjoy it overall but it’s not the kind of book I’d immediately recommend to everyone. In fact, I can imagine some people really disliking it. Full review to come soon!

I had to really think about what other winter books I owned and ended up choosing The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse. I’m fairly sure the whole thing is set in winter but it definitely begins there, in January!

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I’ve finished The Winter Garden. I did enjoy it overall but it’s not the kind of book I’d immediately recommend to everyone. In fact, I can imagine some people really disliking it. Full review to come soon!

I bought this but don't know if it's the one you read because there are several books called The Winter Garden on Amazon. I chose the one written by Nicola Cornick.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I bought this but don't know if it's the one you read because there are several books called The Winter Garden on Amazon. I chose the one written by Nicola Cornick

Ooooh it wasn’t that one, but I just looked it up and that one sounds good!! The one I read was by Alexandra Bell. It’s very like a YA book (not that there’s anything wrong with that, I just wasn’t expecting it) only with some particularly dark references which would have made it unsuitable for YA. Not a huge spoiler, but if you want to know what the unsuitable theme was:

Spoiler

It references marital rape, though not in great detail. 

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Loved The Sanatorium!

I hope I will too, I like it so far but I’m only one chapter in! 😄

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Ooooh it wasn’t that one, but I just looked it up and that one sounds good!! The one I read was by Alexandra Bell. It’s very like a YA book (not that there’s anything wrong with that, I just wasn’t expecting it) only with some particularly dark references which would have made it unsuitable for YA. Not a huge spoiler, but if you want to know what the unsuitable theme was:

Reveal hidden contents

It references marital rape, though not in great detail. 

I hope I will too, I like it so far but I’m only one chapter in! 😄

I looked at that one but decided against it.  It being YA makes sense from the prose that I read and yes, that theme would be too dark for YA, as for me ……….. well perhaps, I don't know. Only way to find out is that I read it but have chosen a different one so happy with that.

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I bought this but don't know if it's the one you read because there are several books called The Winter Garden on Amazon. I chose the one written by Nicola Cornick.

i enjoyed the Nicola Cornick book, very evocative and based on real people and a real garden, which is sadly no longer there.

There's also a book of the same name by Heidi Swain,which I read as part of the BCF winter read, but wasn't too keen on, typical chick lit!

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

i enjoyed the Nicola Cornick book, very evocative and based on real people and a real garden, which is sadly no longer there.

Oh good, I do like books like that.

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

There's also a book of the same name by Heidi Swain,which I read as part of the BCF winter read, but wasn't too keen on, typical chick lit!

Yes, I saw that and passed on by.

• Like 1