BCF Book Club 2024 - Part 1

Hayley

I really enjoyed the book club group reads in 2023, so I’m really hoping that some of you will join me for more in 2024! 

Just as we did last year, if you have any suggestions for the first group read theme of the year (lasting for the first three months of 2024), please post them here! 

My own suggestion is:

Folklore and Mythology 

This could include non fiction books on the subjects, modern retellings, poetry etc.

Oh that's a great suggestion! Do you know, I was toying with the idea of reading The Iliad this year. I'm not sure I have the resolve to tackle it yet, but if I did it would fit nicely into this category. That isn't to say I wouldn't join in with something else however, something a bit easier perhaps!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Maybe winter?

I like this one too! 

(also very happy that people still want to do the group read this year… I was starting to get worried 😂)

If anyone else has suggestions for themes could they put them in here by Sunday and then we’ll decide? :) 

• Like 1

Ok, as we don’t have a decisive outcome, I’m going to throw my hat in with the theme of Winter, which should give everyone a fairly big selection to choose from! 

What’s everyone planning to read? I’m not sure what I’ll choose yet! 

Now, if I can only find a Victorian novel based at sea in the winter, I will be able to do a complete catch up of the Book Club reads to date! 😉

Winter as a theme is most definitely appropriate at the moment, although I think mythology and folklore later on might be interesting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:19 AM, Chrissy said:

Now, if I can only find a Victorian novel based at sea in the winter, I will be able to do a complete catch up of the Book Club reads to date! 😉

Moby Dick?

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, Chrissy said:

Oooh, The Frozen Deep by Wilkie Collins and Dickens? :D

I got The Winter Spirits: Ghostly Tales for Frosty Nights, so I’ll definitely be reading that collection as part of this challenge!

Will probably start mine tomorrow as I'm about to finish my current read, mine is "A Shetland Winter Mystery" by Marsali Taylor, set on the Shetland Isles during winter so there should be a lot of snow!🌨️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I bought The Winter Spirits:Ghostly Tales for Frosty Nights. (UK currently 99p on kindle). How could I resist? 

Thanks @Hayley

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

So did I.

Oooh yay! I didn’t notice it was in the kindle sale. It’s definitely worth it from what I’ve read so far! 😄

On 1/19/2024 at 6:08 PM, Hayley said:

I got The Winter Spirits: Ghostly Tales for Frosty Nights, so I’ll definitely be reading that collection as part of this challenge!

Thanks Hayley, just bought it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm new here; I joined for the book club. I understand that some people are reading The Winter Spirits: Ghostly Tales for Frosty Nights. I'll try and get my hands on a copy!

7 hours ago, Josh said:

Hey all, I'm new here; I joined for the book club. I understand that some people are reading The Winter Spirits: Ghostly Tales for Frosty Nights. I'll try and get my hands on a copy!

Hello and welcome. I'm currently reading this and it's very good. I'll be interested in your comments should you find a copy

6 hours ago, Josh said:

Welcome to the forum Josh! 

I’m swiftly nearing the end of The Winter Spirits (which I’m actually quite sad about, it’s been a great and really varied collection of stories!) and I think I’m probably going to move to The Winter Garden by Alexandra Bell next. 

• 3 weeks later...