ii's reading blog

Guest ii

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see your book list up ii :lol:

Page 6, man. I had to dig it out of page 6! 6?!?!?

I'm a broken spirit.

Thanks for the review, ii. I'd never heard of Anna Davis before, but I've just looked up the two books and I think I'll try to find them during my next book shopping trip, although The Jewel Box isn't out in the UK until November.

You're more than welcome. Both of the books are worth the read, absolutely.

• 1 month later...

Page 3 again! I'm calling in the Marines. And the KFOR troops. (hey! cute Norwegians!)

I finished The Reader late last night. Will have to think about it for a moment still before participating in the discussion. Interesting book...

• 4 weeks later...

I keep ending up on page 3... Where's my cute Norwegian KFOR unit when I need it??

I finished The Flying Troutmans, but I'm not going to talk about that one as I'll be talking your eyes and ears full about it come December. I've also read The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (or something like that) but as that was before I realised I need to do the whole "read one, but three" thing, that doesn't count. darn.

I'm not sure what to think of The Luxe, thought. Beth? Discussion, please!

Blurb from the back of the book:

Meet the Troutmans.

Hattie, living in Paris, has just been dumped by her boyfriend when she receives a phone call from her eleven-year-old niece. Hattie's sister Min is having a particularly dark episode and Thebes asks Hattie to come back and look after her and her brother Logan. By the time Hattie arrives back in Canada, Min is on her way to the psychiatric ward. Suddenly responsible for two children, she realises that she is out of her depth and hatches a plan to find their long-lost father. With only the most tenuous lead, she piles Logan and Thebes into the family van and heads south.blank.gif

At once hilarious and heart-rendering, The Flying Troutmans tells the story of a fractures family on the verge of spinning off its axels and a road trip that just might keep them together.

My thoughts:

Okay, I don't want to get too deep into this now, as we're discussing this come December. But here's a few thoughts and opinions.

Toews is quickly becoming my favourite contemporary author. Her way of handling sore issues, in this case the mental illness of a family member, is at the same time poignant, heartbreaking and very funny. With her signature wit and a certain degree of randomness in the way things are presented, Toews makes us follow the Troutman family, or what's left of it, in their search of their father, in name, but really themselves.

Again we're presented characters who are far from perfect yet impossible not to love. Young Thebes, for instance, is a beautiful mix of strength and vulnerability. Her brother Logan is a teenager, so typical in his angst and hatered yet so uniquely him.

Once again Toews makes you love, laugh and late for work with this story you just can't put down. Or out of your mind.

10/10, easily.