New Reader looking for LIGHT magic/fantasy/supernatural

Hello everyone, I am recently new to reading and was really looking for some books for a genre based on some things I was hoping veterans might know!

So far I have been reading thrillers which I really love. The authors I have been really liking are Freida McFadden, Nicola Sanders and Karen M. McManus.

I am trying to find types of books that would have the same kind of suspense and thriller type style in it however with a smaller twist. Something not like lord of the rings or harry potter that's in complete other non-earth worlds.

Just to make up a book example lets say a person has dreams all the time of some person dying, all of a sudden that person shows up in their life and they learn the dreams are part of the future they can see so they keep dreaming to try to figure out what happens and how to save them. So something in the real world but with just some form of magic/supernatural type thing where it's not pure fantasy.

I hope that makes any sense and someone may be able to recommend some books or authors!! Thanks to anyone who might have some ideas. 

I haven’t actually read any of the authors you mentioned, but I think I have an idea of what you mean. Maybe Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series? It’s set in the real world but follows a police officer who finds out there’s a secret branch for dealing with supernatural things. They fight evil forces while making sure that most people don’t know what’s really happening. Definitely suspenseful at times! 

One of my favourite books set in the real world but with a bit of magic is Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere, which imagines there’s a whole other, more magical, London beneath the city.

If you don’t mind it being historical, Oscar de Muriel’s Frey & McGray series is excellent. Quite a few members here love it. It’s set mainly in Victorian Scotland and it’s not always clear whether the cases are truly magical or not… but it’s very tense and gripping, especially in the later books :) 

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

I haven’t actually read any of the authors you mentioned, but I think I have an idea of what you mean. Maybe Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series? It’s set in the real world but follows a police officer who finds out there’s a secret branch for dealing with supernatural things. They fight evil forces while making sure that most people don’t know what’s really happening. Definitely suspenseful at times! 

One of my favourite books set in the real world but with a bit of magic is Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere, which imagines there’s a whole other, more magical, London beneath the city.

If you don’t mind it being historical, Oscar de Muriel’s Frey & McGray series is excellent. Quite a few members here love it. It’s set mainly in Victorian Scotland and it’s not always clear whether the cases are truly magical or not… but it’s very tense and gripping, especially in the later books :) 

Neverwhere sounds pretty good! I will look into that one for sure. Thanks!