The BCF Book Club - Part 3 Completed Reads

lunababymoonchild

• 2 weeks later...

Having just finished The Devil and the Dark Water, I decided to go through my shelves to see if there were any other sea-related books I hadn't read yet. Although it's not actually set on the sea, I do have The Leviathan by Rosie Andrews. I know it has something to do with a shipwreck and I'm assuming at least a little to do with a sea monster, so I'm going for this one next!

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

Having just finished The Devil and the Dark Water, I decided to go through my shelves to see if there were any other sea-related books I hadn't read yet. Although it's not actually set on the sea, I do have The Leviathan by Rosie Andrews. I know it has something to do with a shipwreck and I'm assuming at least a little to do with a sea monster, so I'm going for this one next!

This one is set in 1643, just so that you know. It's also very good!

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just realised that I meant to post my last update (that I finished The Leviathan) here in completed reads, not in the starter thread! :doh:

Well, I did finish Leviathan and I’ve just finished From the Depths and Other Strange Tales of the Sea! Particularly enjoyed the last short story (and found the editors note that it could have inspired the TV series ‘Lost’ interesting!). 

Im fully sticking with the theme for these three months, so it’s time to choose my next sea-themed book. I have three more on my shelf that would fit - The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrove (based on a terrible incident at sea which kills all the men of a village - and also about witch trials again!), or The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (a fantasy where I have feeling the sea might be more metaphorical than literal…), or The Coral Island by R.M Ballantyne (a children’s classic about a being shipwrecked). 

I really have no idea which one to choose. I might just read the opening lines of all of them and see which one sticks 😄.

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

The Starless Sea won for having the opening lines:

‘There is a pirate in the basement.

(The pirate is a metaphor but also still a person).’ 😄

That looks like much fun. I'm still on my annual struggle with Bernhard but I still have the poetry on the sea and a non-fictional book on the sea called Sea-Fever, which I'm looking forward to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This probably won't be my final update because I'm still finishing Treasure Island, but I also read The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera this month. It wasn't something I actually sought out to read for the challenge (I ended up reading it because it's a course book for one of my students) but it fit in perfectly and it was actually a really lovely book! 

On 9/30/2023 at 7:39 PM, Hayley said:

This probably won't be my final update because I'm still finishing Treasure Island, but I also read The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera this month. It wasn't something I actually sought out to read for the challenge (I ended up reading it because it's a course book for one of my students) but it fit in perfectly and it was actually a really lovely book! 

If you haven's seen the movie (Whale Rider 2002) it's well worth a watch.

• Like 1