The BCF Book Club - Part 3

Hayley

I can’t believe it’s nearly time for our third group already! 

As a reminder for those who haven’t participated before:

‘Throughout 2023, the BCF Book Club will be in session! We will vote on categories four times per year (January-March, April-June, July-September, October-December) and participants will choose a book from that category. This means that we might not all be reading the same book, but we will all be reading from the same category.’

So please leave your category suggestions for the third Book Club event (July-September) below! We will hold a poll on Friday 30th, if necessary, to make our final

decision. 

It would be helpful if you could leave a book suggestion next to your suggested category :) .

My suggestion (as it reminds me of summer): 

A book related to the sea.

We might read classics featuring sea voyages (like Moby Dick or Treasure Island) or something with a bit of a fantasy twist like The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Taunton (I really want to read that one…). There are also loads of non-fiction books that would fit with this one, like maybe Michael Palin’s Erebus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Happy first of the month! With one additional vote in for the sea, are we all happy to proceed with that without a poll? 

(although @lunababymoonchild, I like the idea of including poems in our reading, based on different themes! There are definitely plenty featuring the sea…)

Yes, and good idea about the poetry (which can be included, I imagine, in pretty much every category)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought The Rime of the Ancient Marriner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge as my poem for the sea. It's 66 pages long so I'll take my time and I'm sure that there will be others.

Oh that's a brilliant read! I was just thinking that would be perfect for this.

I might have a go at this. Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe and Moby Dick are all appealing to me.

• Like 2

Great! I think I’ll try The Devil and the Dark Water (as soon as I’ve finished off Nicholas Nickleby). 

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought The Rime of the Ancient Marriner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge as my poem for the sea. It's 66 pages long so I'll take my time and I'm sure that there will be others.

It’s been a very long time since I read that, so I might join you! 

• Like 1

Great! I think I’ll be going for The Devil and the Dark Water too then (as soon as I’ve finished off Nicholas Nickleby!)

I might also re-read Rime of the Ancient Mariner because it’s been years since I read that! 😄

• Like 1

I have just bought Poems of the Sea (Macmillan Collector's Library, 301)  by Gaby Morgan (Editor). I bought the hardcover. 

From Amazon: Poems of the Sea is an anthology of classic poetry that celebrates the sea; from the power of a stormy ocean to ships and sailors and beaches strewn with shells.

There seems to be a wealth of sea related poetry to read online too. 

Yippee!

On 7/7/2023 at 1:43 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I take delivery of it tomorrow so I'll let you know.

It's absolutely beautiful! It's very small but has an embossed front cover, ribbon marker and contains a great many poems (hundreds tbh) split into different sections all to do with the sea. The poets are well known and very well established. The paper of the book is high quality and it's such a luxurious and beautiful thing!

I'm going to enjoy this!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, ~Andrea~ said:

Well I've started treasure Island - not that far in yet - and so far it's great. I think I'm going to love this!

I have this on my kindle, ready to read. I'll be making a start any day now! :)

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 3:02 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

Well I've started treasure Island - not that far in yet - and so far it's great. I think I'm going to love this!

On 7/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, Chrissy said:

I have this on my kindle, ready to read. I'll be making a start any day now! :)

Hope you're enjoying/enjoyed it Chrissy. I had an extremely busy July and have only just got back to this! It's a real page turner so hopefully I'll fly through it.

• Like 1

I finished The Leviathan last night and next I think I’m going to start From the Depths and Other Tales of the Sea, which I couldn’t resist when I saw it on offer last month. I do want to read Treasure Island too though. If I can hunt down a cheap copy, I might read them both 😁

• Like 2