The BCF Book Club - Part 2 Completed Reads

lunababymoonchild

I started reading Charles Dickens Martin Chuzzlewit because I read one Dickens a year and because I was due to start another book and because Dickens would fit in to the two categories proposed.  I've just learned that in actual fact I've been reading Hard Times. I don't know how that happened because I have a book-mark in my Kindle in Martin Chuzzlewit but I'm pretty much halfway through Hard Times so will continue with that.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
dodgy typing

45 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Have you already read Hard Times @lunababymoonchild?

I think I want to read either Martin Chuzzlewit or Nicholas Nickelby but I really want to read The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heap too!

No, that's why I'm staying with it. I haven't read Martin Chuzzlewit either but will go back to it. I have read Nicholas Nickelby and it's marvellous! Classic reader's dilemma, too many books but not enough time - then again you do have three months, you might get them all read! I fancy the Uriah Heap one too.

On 4/11/2023 at 8:46 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I have read Nicholas Nickelby and it's marvellous!

You’ve convinced me, I’ll go for Nicholas Nickelby 😄.

On 4/11/2023 at 8:46 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

too many books but not enough time - then again you do have three months, you might get them all read!

I can certainly try! 

On 4/14/2023 at 7:49 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Finished Hard Times. Marvellous

I’m glad you loved it too! Look forward to reading your review 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timebug said:

I have mentioned before that I am not a Dickens fan; but I have read quite a few in my life, and I still find 'The Pickwick Papers' good fun.

You can read anything remotely touching Dickens, though. Category is A book related to Charles Dickens.  

Such as The Man in Black, for example, or The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heap.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I completed The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by HG Parry today. I really enjoyed it.

(From Amazon)

A joyous, inventive and engaging debut featuring a young academic with the power to bring literary characters out of their books and into the real world

- the ultimate book-lover's fantasy. 

That pretty much sums up my feelings about the story. From the opening chapters I was drawn in, and I found the main characters likeable and rounded enough to make them and their relationships interesting.

I also found my reading was actively immersive, so the scenes played out visually as I read them. That doesn't always happen as I read, but I enjoyed the experience here where it felt appropriate to bring my own interpretation of scenes to the fore of my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I completed The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by HG Parry today. I really enjoyed it.

I do really want to read this one! I won’t have time to do it for this challenge though, I’m on chapter 27 of Nicholas Nickleby and that’s not quite half way through yet! 
I am really enjoying it though. There’s quite a range of characters in this one and I’ve reached a point where some of their stories are starting to intertwine, which is a feature I always enjoy in Dickens’ books! 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s time to start thinking about the next challenge and I’m making good progress with Nicholas Nickleby, but I still don’t think I’ll quite finish it all before the end of the week! 

I’ve reached a point in the book now where 

Spoiler

I’m really nervous about Smike - I have a feeling I’m going to hate Ralph even more very soon 🥲

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

It’s time to start thinking about the next challenge and I’m making good progress with Nicholas Nickleby, but I still don’t think I’ll quite finish it all before the end of the week! 

I’ve reached a point in the book now where 

Reveal hidden contents

I’m really nervous about Smike - I have a feeling I’m going to hate Ralph even more very soon 🥲

Ooooooh. I'm saying nothing 😉

I have quite a bit to go on Uriah Heep and I probably won't finish that by the end of the month, but you never know. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Poking my head back in here a little late to say that I finished Nicholas Nickleby and I loved it! 

On 6/26/2023 at 10:14 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Ooooooh. I'm saying nothing 😉

And I was NOT expecting that with Smike 😬

• Like 1