Howdy

cringepop_offline

I feel so rude posting on here without a proper introduction. I live on the west coast and the past 2 years found my love of reading again, I at least make sure to read one book a month sometimes more but always at least one. My main hobby is sewing and I like to try different Kombucha. I am hoping to find more online communities as I cannot do social media anymore and would rather stay stuck in the 90's part of the internet. As for genres of books I seem to gravitate a lot toward sci-fi I have read a lot of Philip K. Dick and Ray Bradbury. I mainly joined here to try and get into other genres of story-time. Like mystery novels is one I ought to try or even an autobiography of someone, really anything other than sci-fi. I love sci-fi the most but I really want to try and branch out more.

• Like 1

Good to meet you! If you want to try mystery there is plenty to go at out there!  Maybe some Agatha Christie to begin? Whilst I have never got on with her books there are plenty to try,and she has millions of fans, so why not have a shot?

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 1:33 AM, cringepop_offline said:

Like mystery novels is one I ought to try or even an autobiography of someone, really anything other than sci-fi. I love sci-fi the most but I really want to try and branch out more.

I’m the opposite - I love a good mystery/ detective novel and would like to try more science fiction! I especially want to read more Ray Bradbury after loving Fahrenheit 451. 

A few of us have been enjoying the Frey & McGray series by Oscar de Muriel. They’re set in the nineteenth century and they have great mysteries with a slightly supernatural twist :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

A few of us have been enjoying the Frey & McGray series by Oscar de Muriel. They’re set in the nineteenth century and they have great mysteries with a slightly supernatural twist :)

@HayleyI like the sounds of that. One sci-fi I read 2 years ago was called Prey by Michael Crichton was about a nanobot swarm that got loose in the dessert, I do not know if you're looking for any recommendations but that one was pretty good. As for Fahrenheit 451 I actually went to one of Ray Bradbury's book signing before he died and he signed that book for me and also wrote 'happy birthday' because it was also my birthday. He was an amazing speaker and very kind to meet in person. Thank you for the letting me know if you got any more recommendations feel free to drop me another, I appreciate it.

19 hours ago, cringepop_offline said:

I do not know if you're looking for any recommendations but that one was pretty good.

Always! 😄 And Prey sounds interesting - I’ve added it to my wish list!

19 hours ago, cringepop_offline said:

I actually went to one of Ray Bradbury's book signing before he died and he signed that book for me and also wrote 'happy birthday' because it was also my birthday. He was an amazing speaker and very kind to meet in person.

Wow that is cool - what a birthday present!! I’m really glad to hear that he was kind in person too. I imagined he would be, from the characters in Fahrenheit! 

Have you seen the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch? A few of us on here enjoy those too :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cringepop_offline said:

I have not heard but I will add it to my list. Thank you !

They have a much stronger fantasy element than Fray and McGray. Set in the modern world but one where magic is very much a real thing and is dealt with by a specific branch of the police. That series is still going too so there are more books to look forward to 😄.

I'll second Ben Aaronovitch! My youngest daughter and I fight over who gets to read his new books first!

Have you heard of Jasper fforde? If you have a sense of the ridiculous I'd really recommend starting with the Eyre Affair which truly funny (and a mystery, albeit a very offbeat one!)

For classic crime fiction take a look at Dorothy L Sayers and Ngaio Marsh, I love both of them and they are so well written that I'm happy to reread them even though I already know whodunnit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, France said:

Have you heard of Jasper fforde? If you have a sense of the ridiculous I'd really recommend starting with the Eyre Affair which truly funny (and a mystery, albeit a very offbeat one!)

@Franceyou know The Eyre Affair keeps popping up on my amazon account so I am going to take this as a sign to read it. Thank you for the other recommendations as well I will look into them for sure.

• Like 1

@~Andrea~I am hoping to get my reading rates back up again too, I have a toddler who keeps me very busy. Let me know if you have any recommendations I am trying to build a new list from a perspective other then my own. Do you have a favorite sci-fi story? I would say mine is one by Philip K. Dick called 'Clans Of The Alphane Moon' but its always hard to decide they are all so good.

Hello. I read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, which I was not very impressed with. I was impressed with Philip K. Dick's Ubik, but I have not read very much by him. I used to read quite a bit of science fiction when I was young. I liked Larry Niven and his collaborations with Jerry Pournelle. Niven was a bit flip while Pournelle was a bit stodgy, but together they wrote some good books. I used to read Frank Herbert until The White Plague put me off him. The last sci-fi book I read was Project Hail Mary, which was very strong on science.

• Like 1

@KEV67 Ubik was certainly fun to read. I find out of Bradbury's work 451 is certainly overly hyped up due to its nature of being banned and published in Playboy for its beginnings I think out of all his work I really enjoyed Illustrated Man is a collection of short stories. I will look into Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle I am sure I have one of their books laying on one of my shelves. As for Frank Herbert I only read one of his stories just recently was the Santaroga Barrier I had no idea about The White Plague until you mentioned, goodness that sounds like a depressing read, Herbert from what I gathered in just the one book seems to have a weird attitude toward women for sure I cannot quite find the words to describe it right now. 

On 3/17/2023 at 1:54 AM, cringepop_offline said:

@~Andrea~I am hoping to get my reading rates back up again too, I have a toddler who keeps me very busy. Let me know if you have any recommendations I am trying to build a new list from a perspective other then my own. Do you have a favorite sci-fi story? I would say mine is one by Philip K. Dick called 'Clans Of The Alphane Moon' but its always hard to decide they are all so good.

Oh a toddler will definitely keep you busy!

Well my favourite sci-fi reads are probably "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C Clarke and "The End of Eternity" by Isaac Asimov, both classics from the golden age of sci fi. I also enjoyed "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K Dick, and the Asimov short story "Nightfall One" is a must read for any sci fi fans.

I know - so many great sci fi reads out there. It is hard to choose!

• Like 1