What do you think of Penguin Clothbound Classics?

KEV67

I like them. I have quite a few of them. The covers were designed by Coralie-Bickford Smith, who I was delighted to learn learnt her craft at Reading University. There was an issue with the patterns on the covers wearing off, but on the whole I do not mind that. When you read a book you damage it. They are more expensive than paperbacks, but they are generally long books. If you taken into account how long they take to read, and how pretty they look on your shelf, I think they are quite good value. On YouTube I have heard vloggers criticise the quality of the paper and the bindings. I suppose that is fair enough. I suppose that depends a bit on whether you consider the artefact to be worth a greater proportion of the art it contains. Personally, I only have a certain amount of money, which is more than I had when I was young, when I thought hardbacks were a waste of money. I like that Penguin keep bringing out new clothbound classics. I was not bothered about the 20th-century classics they brought out last year, but I noticed this year they have brought out The Life and Opinions of Tristan Shandy, and I still want to buy Paradise Lost, possibly The Mayor of Casterbridge, Les Miserables, and maybe Villette.

I don't actually have any but I do really like the covers. I couldn't comment on the paper quality but, unless it was really bad in a way that made them tear easily or something, I don't think I'd mind!

Les Miserables and Villette are two of the prettiest ones I've seen - I'd definitely like to own those. Their edition of Dracula is nice too!